RE: Falure to establish communication

  • To: "'RonAug@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Falure to establish communication
  • From: Brian Massey <bnm03@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:18:31 -0800 (PST)

Robyn,

I'll take a stab at why your modem doesn't work in native DOS.  Your modem
probably doesn' t work in native DOS because there aren't native DOS
drivers loaded for your external modemA DOS box under windows is still
running under a windows enironment and so uses the same windows drivers so
they work. .  I'm not even sure if your WinModem will work in DOS.  I think
some do but they have to say so on the package.

You might want to ask the manufacturer of your external modem for native
DOS drivers.  There should be a mechanism for loading these drivers when
you leave Windows.  I think that mechanism exists in the Autoexec.bat file.
 I think, when you leave windows this file is executed much the same way it
was when you booted your old 486 with DOS.

You'll notice the MSCDEX.DLL (or exe) file gets loaded when you leave
windows.  I would think that your modem drivers should get loaded at this
point too, from the Autoexec.bat file.

But for now, the chant and herbs sounds like a good plan.

Brian.