RE: bmi cable /signal cable FYI (DSS systems?)

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: bmi cable /signal cable FYI (DSS systems?)
  • From: traderguy@xxxxxxx (JMB)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 11:02:23 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 21:55:09 -0800, you wrote:

> BMI cable users:  Recently I was having frequent data outages
> using TBS cable channel.   BMI support recommended switching
> to American Movie Classics (which for me is Line 16 on the
> BMI box) and I have had no problems since.   BMI said American
> Movies Classics has no advertisements.

I was on the phone to BMI tech-support last week on this issue.....  I
forget his name, but he said the "outages" that are experienced by
many on TBS, are because your local cable supplier are allowed to
insert commercials into the channel signal.....

I would assume that this may have no effect on some operators that
insert properly, and respect the "side-bands".....  but many could
care less... hence... outages!

OTOH, AMC has no commercial inserts on the local level.....  thereby
NO outages!       It's as simple as that.....

BTW,  I had no problem getting through to BMI or finding competent
help....  I'm sorry, I can't relate to some of the negative stories I
hear on this list in regards to BMI.....  Maybe things are getting
better??

(PS.)  The real reason I called them, was to see if there was any way
to get a BMI signal off of a DSS system?  Either via BMI cable box, or
a BMI satellite box.... apparently the answer is NO!

I don't buy into that answer....  I believe there has to be a way!
Any thoughts on this subject... anyone?

Thanks for your thoughts....

Jeff in L.A.
TraderGuy@xxxxxxx