Re: A Modest Proposal

Blaine Mathieu wrote:

> Unfortunately they ignore one key point - THIS LIST
> IS NOT A GENERAL PURPOSE TRADING LIST. The Omega list is for people to
> discuss issues relating to Omega products.

While it is called the "Omega List," and for Omega users (for the most part),
this doesn't mean that this is the sole topic, or ought to be for that matter.
My understanding, and I've read this several times here, is that the list, while
indeed a forum on Omega products, allows for discussion of issues related to
professional trading.  This makes sense, as it is natural for users to exchange
comments, ideas, and experiences of their profession.  While there are other
lists on trading, the fact that members  generally are serious traders, coupled
with the fact that they are using similar or identical trading software, makes
for a unique and beneficial forum.  Besides, my mailbox is full enough <g>.

> Unfortunately, I disagree with your basic premise that people should be
> allowed to post whatever they want to post, as long as they identify it. It
> still takes time to determine a message is worthless and delete it.

That's the reason why people need to clearly identify the topic in the subject
line.  If you get a subject line that says "Denise's Trading Signal" (or
whatever), with 50 replies <g>, and you're not interested at all in this topic,
then you can just trash them all.  As long as some members may be interested in
a topic, it is probably worthwhile to post it.  If it's more like one or two
persons, then private mailings would be the way to go.  There has been a heck of
traffic lately, and some stuff that may or may not belong, but that doesn't mean
every reader has to pour through it all.

> I would be willing
> to bet that most members of this list are here for tips on using Omega
> products. The Internet is already FULL of general trading tips and advice.

One of these trading lists is enough for me, though, and I enjoy *some* of the
other topics.  However, not everything is going to be of interest to everyone.
For instance, there has been a lot of stuff on futures brokerages lately - I
don't trade futures, so this doesn't interest me - so I don't have to read it.
There are a lot of members who do trade this stuff, and I take it that there was
probably some good info here.  If members have to subscribe to a bunch of lists
for trading, they will have to deal with even more traffic and noise, and even
more material they are not interested in.

> If  this does turn into a general purpose list then I'll just set my
> e-mail program to automatically delete any message with "Denise" in it or
> any other subject or author that becomes irrelevant.

I hate to break it to you, Blaine, but it already is.  Too general?  Maybe.  At
least as far as personalities and not trading information has started to take
the spotlight here.

> However, it is sad to
> think that this list may degenerate. Over the last few years I have gained a
> lot of good information from here (and even given a little back).

I understand your concern - however, we have to realize that a list like this
caters to a very large group of users, and we may easily disagree about what its
scope ought to be.  The only sensible thing to do is to refer to the list
documentation, which does not limit it to Omega products, or even trading
software in general.  If this ends up changing in the future, then fine.  I
think it would be a shame to narrow down the focus as much as you would like,
though.  Still, it shouldn't be a free-for-all either - especially with all the
personal attacks that have gone on lately.  Eliminating these would be a good
place to start.

Regards and Good Trading,
A.J.