Re: Uncle Bob Responds

>From: greene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:47:33 -0500
>Robyn wrote:
>Hi David - Good to hear from you.  And I agree with you 100%.  Except I'll
go >to the tennis courts and the golf course - not the lake <g>.

To each his own. I've always considered it a very good thing that not
everyone likes to fish.

>What's a string?

Well, although I am an electrical engineer, I'm not a programmer or computer
expert at all ( the only real programming I've ever done was Fortran back in
college nearly 40 years ago). But I think strings are just a series of
characters. They can be constants or variables. I'm not sure exactly what
Bob Brickey meant when he said a good thing about SC4 is that it implements
strings. I only used the program a few days, really. One example of strings
might be like the TS code for print and plot statements you see on this list
all the time. The parts in quotation marks are strings, I think. I don't
think you can do this in SC4. Possibly he meant you can write something in
TS4 using strings, and then run it in SC4.

>And what's the embedded code in the editor indicator window?

The embedded code is parts of a statement that are already provided by the
program. Apparantly there is a hidden, embedded "=" between the PlotName and
Formula boxes. Actually, the whole statement must be embedded( plotname =
formula) and it just allows you to fill in the blanks. In the ShowMe window,
the "if" and "then place mark on" are embedded, but not hidden.

>(you'll have to excuse me - I'm not an engineer).  And - when you talk
about >paying someone to convert your work for SuperCharts 4 - what do you
mean? For >example - this is just a little something I wrote today (it's my
version of the
>Formula Research work on protective stops for the Pankin Select Fund
System).  >My understanding is I can't do anything like this with
SuperCharts 4 - no >matter how much I pay someone.  Am I right?  ...

My belief has always been that someone with TS4 can code just about anything
you want and then you can run it in SC4 (same as with TS3.5 and SC2.1). Of
course you can't edit it or tweak it, except insofar as you provide for
inputs. Unfortunately, I don't personally know anyone that has TS4, so no
freebies.

David