Re: Mechanical System Evaluation Guidelines

Tom wrote:

>I have to agree with most of what you are intending to state. Thanks for the
>time put forth for your evaluations well communicated.
>What every person wants when buying any tool (system) that they have to
rely on
>and that they place their money on or in, is reassurance by actual
"statistics"
>that that tool (system) works and will, hopefully continue to work. That
you do
>not care how good the "salesmanship" is and how convincing he is when selling
>you that tool. You want to look at the hard facts! Did it, does it and
will it
>work? How well?
>
>I agree.
>
>Further may I ask you do you own Tradestation or Supercharts?
>If so---
>Whom did you buy it from?
>
>Do you know whether the programmers of these products are traders? Currently
>traders? Were traders? Successful traders?
>Would this be a necessary criteria in determining the selection and
purchasing
>of the very platform upon which all subsequent systems, whether purchased or
>written by you or by someone else, has to run?
>
>Did you have at your disposal the hard "statistics" from which you could
>determine that this software product would perform to your satisfaction
before
>the purchase? That the Language module with which to write systems performed
>their specified tasks properly?
>
>Just wondering if WHO you purchase something from is really getting confused
>with the actual hard "statistics" of HOW  a given system or software system
>running platform performs.
>If this is not added inapplicable data regarding the purchasing of a
system, or
>software to run a system, then the sales staff better be traders too. The UPS
>man too.

Hold on Tom...I see where you're going with this.  TS is a tool for
developing systems, not a system in and of itself.  You're thinking, well
Bill Cruz doesn't trade, and he developed TS, so how can I buy software
from a non-trader?  Again, TS is a development tool, not a mechanical
system.  Well, you're thinking, how can I be certain that TS is reporting
the correct results, right?  With all the reported and alledged TS and EL
bugs, how do I know if mechanical systems run on TS will give the correct
results?  Simple.  Follow my procedure for evaluating the system,  its real
time performance, and getting the white box rules, then you can easily
check the system's math and rules with calculator, pencil, and paper
independent of the trading platform.

Do I own TS?  Yes, I purchased it from Omega, beginning with 3.01 three +
years ago through 4.0 Build 19.6 today.  I previously owned a DOS based
program with the disclosed indicator math.  I ran the DOS program with all
the indicators that I used at the time side by side with TS 3.01 and the
same indicators as the DOS program.  They matched to the third decimal
place...close enough for my standards at the time.  What about systems?
Again, I started creating simple systems on TS and compared the results
using calculator, pencil, and paper.  And so on.  What about data feeds?
Yes, I would only buy systems developed for TS that used the BMI data feed
(because I use that feed).  Why? I've found subtle differences between data
feeds and system performance.  What about floating point errors in Pentium
microprocessors?  You can go on and on and on...

What my rules / guidelines / suggestions try to do is simply weed out the
dishonest or even sloppy system vendors by requiring documented real time
performance results with fully disclosed trading rules that the trader can
evaluate on any trading platform, including calculator.  BTW most of my
systems could be traded off the CNBC feed and a programmable calculator in
a pinch.

                Tony Haas

The commodities market is that creation
of man that humbles him the most.