Re: Need Advice on Windows NT

I agree with everything Earl Adamy had to say about WinNT, although as a
previous WinNT 3.51 user, I strong recommend upgrading to WinNT 4, because
there are many important improvements.  WinNT is much more robust that Win95
.  It is the operating system traders who want a 32-bit operating system
should be using, because it is almost impossible for an application program
to crash the entire system and bring everything down.

> One caveat of recent origin. When I upgraded from IE 3.02
> to IE 4.01, it installed a new file manager and otherwise
> integrated itself with the NT operating system (this is a
> legal tactic in battle with DOJ and NSCP). Since then, I've
> had both IE and it's companion Outlook Express bring down the
> whole system - on some occasions more than once a day. I am
> not a happy camper! My searches of MS's own newgroups has
> turned up others having the same problems and no solutions.
> Since IE has integrated itself with NT itself, I'm not convinced
> I can solve the problems by removing it unless I reinstall NT
> and all my software - only way to get a clean registry. So bottom
> line, at the moment, I'm a formerly very happy NT user who is
> back to the reliability of WinDOS based OS which are considerably
> less expensive to purchase and maintain

Earl also is right about IE 4.01.  I was about to install IE 4.01 months ago
when Microsoft first released it.  Fortunately, I read the readme file first
and found what it was going to do, so I never installed it.  There must be
lots of disgusted users out there who did.

  -Bob Brickey
   Scientific Approaches
   sci@xxxxxxxxxx