Re: Need Advice on Windows NT

Since I develop much of my own trading software, I require an environment
which can suffer my programming misdeeds (i.e. crashes) without bringing the
system down. I switched from Wfwg 3.11 directly to NT 3.5 Workstation as my
one and only OS several years (3+-) ago and found it to be much more solid
and robust than the WinDOS products - I consider Win95 to be a WinDOS
product. I also switched from FAT to NTFS which is a more robust file
system. NT runs about anything I've thrown at it DOS, 16 bit Win, and 32 bit
Win software except that it is not safe to use Win95 file utilities and some
of the older games which directly access the hardware will not run. NT
supports a dual boot system and I used one for my first couple of months
while moving from Wfwg to NT. I would not recommend a dual boot system for
NT/Win95 as software will have to be installed twice, once for each OS. And,
oh yes, NT does not automatically upgrade a Win95 installation to NT so you
will end up reinstalling everything which makes use of the registry.

One caveat of recent origin. When I upgraded from IE 3.02 to IE 4.01, it
installed a new file manager and otherwise integrated itself with the NT
operating system (this is a legal tactic in battle with DOJ and NSCP). Since
then, I've had both IE and it's companion Outlook Express bring down the
whole system - on some occasions more than once a day. I am not a happy
camper! My searches of MS's own newgroups has turned up others having the
same problems and no solutions. Since IE has integrated itself with NT
itself, I'm not convinced I can solve the problems by removing it unless I
reinstall NT and all my software - only way to get a clean registry. So
bottom line, at the moment, I'm a formerly very happy NT user who is back to
the reliability of WinDOS based OS which are considerably less expensive to
purchase and maintain

Earl