Omega List Ettiquette

Let me clarify why I removed Mark Brown from this list.  One of the
few "rules" I impose on subscribers is that they not engage in
personal attacks against other list members when posting to the list.
Common courtesy should dictate that we keep all personal, one-to-one
correspondence of any sort off the list, so that all one-thousand list
members don't have to sift through others' personal mail.  But
attacks go beyond mere courtesy, and are grounds for dismissal.  Most
people have no trouble understanding and conforming to this simple rule.

Since Mark joined the list, I've had to warn him at least five, and
perhaps ten times about the above rule.  Each time, I've remembered
the old phrase "fool me twice, shame on me" and sworn that I'd given
Mark his last warning.  Yes, he's contributed some worthwhile articles
to this list, and I suppose I was seduced by the sincerity of each
of his apologies.  But he's long ago used up his quota of free passes.

I don't have time to read each and every list message as it comes in.
I trade for a living, and I have a life outside of my trading.  So
when Bill Brower sent me, as list administrator, an example of one of
Mark's infantile ravings, with no indication of its origin, it was
reasonable for me to assume Mark had posted it to the list, and it
was reasonable for me to remove Mark, presumably to staunch the flow
of excrement onto my list.  Once I had finally determined that Bill
had sent me a copy of an off-list message, which I consider out of
my jurisdiction, however reprehensible the content, I was prepared
to let Mark continue as a list member.

However, Mark chose to turn his venom on me, personally, and that's
not a good thing to do if one wants to be a member of someone's list.
A time out is definitely in order, and I have written to that effect
to Mark.  Perhaps he'll be back, perhaps not.

Many of you have written me directly concerning this matter.  I have
answered a few of you directly, and to those I haven't had time to
reply to, I apologize.  Let me make a few remarks to all.

First, rest assured that I value free speech as much as anyone, and I
really don't think it's my business what folks say off this list.  I
created this list with Steve Hill to share technical information that
might help a few of us TradeStation users understand the product
better. The non-technical stuff is okay, I suppose, but only to the
extent that it doesn't ruin the list's primary function.  That means
fewer, higher-quality messages, so subscribers have time and
motivation to actually read them.  And it means keeping the personal
animosity off the list, so knowledgable readers will feel comfortable
responding. My "rules" are there for a practical reason, to allow the
list to function as an information exchange.

If you feel strongly about someone's list article, and you've
satisfied yourself that silence wouldn't be a more eloquent response,
write them directly about your feelings.  But unless it contributes
some real information that all the other list members are likely to
find worthwhile, keep it private between you and your correspondent.
--
jimo@xxxxxxxxxx
maintainer of the omega list