Re: Wax type

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Wax type
  • From: Michael Charness <wsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 21:19:18 -0800 (PST)

At 06:29 PM 2/19/98 Tad Davis wrote:
>This might open up a whole can of worms, plus is probably in the
>archives (I can't find the archives), but I need to ask. Has anyone
>found a car wax/polish they like that works well for shine and comes off
>easily?
>
>Also, I tried some of the stuff that detailers use( they gave me some in
>a jar) Still I got some of those blotchy patches when done. It must be
>me!!! So what am I doing wrong??? I just want a deep CONSISTANT finish
>that has a nice shine and no smeared/blotchy areas.

I don't use wax on my 308 anymore!  I use a synthetic polymer
polish/finish, which is almost like adding clearcoat to your car.  The
finish is OUTSTANDING, and the dried haze still wipes off with ZERO EFFORT
even if you leave it on overnight!  I was very skeptical until I tried it
-- figured only the best Carnauba wax was good enough for my Ferrari -- but
I'm hooked now.  I've asked a number of high-end car painters about using a
synthetic polymer finish instead of wax... I was concerned about the paint
still being able to "breathe" and all, but all except one said that they've
used it on their showcars!  I use Finish First, from LiquiTech, after I got
a sample at a car show. It's similar to Liquid Glass, except Liquid Glass
is silicone based.  I get lots of comments about how good my car's paint
looks.  The car has also won first-in-class several regional concours, as
well as first-in-class at a variety of other carshows.  It takes some
getting used to... the more you use, the better the finish looks -- it
fills in imperfections as you build it up with multiple coats over a period
of months if you want to do that.  Also, water doesn't bead up like with
wax, it sheets off when you wash it, making it easier to dry.  I also used
their pre-cleaner before I put on the first application of Finish Fast (and
have never used it since, but it is a good extra step before the first
time, in my opinion, and it takes any old wax off).  Finish First doesn't
leave that hand-rubbed wax look, so if you like that look, this isn't for
you.  It just leaves a "freshly painted" almost-wet look.  When I've had
touch up paint work on my car done (rock chips on the nose or fenders,
euro-spoiler repaint, etc.) it hasn't caused any problems for the paint shop.

Anyway, I'm sold on it; I actually haven't done anything but wash my car in
over a year -- it's been that long since the last application.  LiquiTech
is at 800-637-4527.  I'm not sure where that office is located, since it
lasts so long and I'm still on my original purchase from 3 years ago.  I
have no stock in the company and no axe to grind... I'm just a happy customer.

Mike C.
1984 308 GTSi/QV red/tan