Re: Freeburg, Hussman, and UMA

At 10:05 AM 2/13/98 +0500, you wrote:
>  I used to subscribe to Hussman Econometrics. He does good work in that
>area and Nelson Freeburg has simplified and adapted some of his ideas.

>At 09:37 PM 2/12/98 EST, Frank990@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>Nelson Freeburg gave a short talk at the Cycles / MASC meeting in
>>Orange County (CA) in Nov.1997. He was one of the six speakers .

Let me put in a plug for a product called "Ultra Market Advisor",
of which I am a satisfied customer, but have no commercial interest,
no axe to grind, etc. etc.

Ultra Market Advisor ("UMA") is an inexpensive product (I think it
cost me $250 or so) that implements 38 general market timing systems,
and a couple of gold timing systems.  Systems by Hussman, Freeburg,
Meyers, Lutts, Bell, and UMA's author, Steve Hunter, are included.
These systems are NOT programmable - this isn't a TradeStation with
EasyLanguage.  However, you can backtest "portfolios" of systems,
seeing which combinations give the best historical results.  You can
also play with the thresholds - eg, rules such "if 5/16 systems go
'long' then buy, if 7/16 go 'short' then sell".  While I believe it
is possible to manually enter data into the UMA, the easier solution
is to pay Ultra Financial Systems (Hunter's company) $100/year for
the right to auto-download each day's data.

UMA can be reached at www.ultrafs.com, ultrafs@xxxxxxxxxxxx, or at
972 940 5423.  Again, I have NO connection with UFS, though I would
be interested to hear from other people using UFS, and similar
products (yea, I also use MIRAT).

Jay Mackro