A Source of 24 Hour S&P Data

  • To: "Carl Oberman" <swtrans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: A Source of 24 Hour S&P Data
  • From: "Tom Cathey" <K1JJ@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:43:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi Carl -

Glad you brought it up...I meant to post the results, as a number of guys
wanted the Globex 24 hour S&P data also.

I ended up paying John Fortune for a package deal: I got 24 hour data going
back to about July, 1997, and the day session going back 10 years all for
$50.

Bear in mind that the short 7-8 months of 24 hour data comprise about 1.2
meg; just as the 10 year day session does.  I downloaded it all off of his
web page after he gave me a password.

I may be wrong, but I think going back further than July, 1997 with Globex
is a waste, cuz I see signs of "bullet holes" at night (illiquidity) since
there was no e-mini nor as much interest as now.   I personally think the
night session will continue to grow and become a decent trading vehicle
once activity picks up a little more. I used to look at the quotes and
thought it had no ryhme or reason at night, but believe me, the same rules
apply at night as the day....just the  magnitude of moves is smaller, and
of course, the wide bid/offer can sometimes eat up your profits at present.
Just watch out for the DEAD time between 12 midnight and 2AM.

BTW, maybe someone knows the answer: I notice (S&P Globex) at big turning
points that sometimes big numbers come in at the bid (bull turn) but due to
the illiquidity, the market just moves up on it's own without any of these
bids getting done. I see guys hitting the offer in ones and two's.....I
cannot understand how or why these huge bids get put in time after time
when they have no hope of getting executed. I mean, if they believe the
market's about to take off, why not aggressively buy up the offers?  I see
this also occur in the JY at night.....just don't know... I thought maybe
it's a classic "showing size" scare tactic, but I saw no evidence of heavy
buying beforehand to get on board. Sometimes there's only a small spread
when this happens. Maybe some big size is trying to attract some
size/liquidity from the other side???

CU

Tom Cathey

The data was fine, as promised.....well worth the modest fee to me.

Contact John Fortune at:
mailto:Spoo@xxxxxxx

Good Luck -

Tom Cathey