Re: Security answer: Client code compiled into Software

Ron,

> If I understand your concept, it relies on a registration number
> that could be traced back to the original purchaser.

Ok - I will be more obvious - although this will decrease the
substantial consultancy fee which I expect from
Omega for my ideas:

The tracing back is one aspect. Another aspect is the way how the
protection normally works: Either  the program works
or it doesn't. Either way you know whether your code is ok or not.

Now, I suppose that the people who are using tradestation must rely
100% on the accuracy of the software. Otherwise there is no point
using TS. And now imagine that Omega would sell you TS5 with disks
and a code which they just tell you on the phone. But when you
actually use a wrong code to get into the programm it won't tell you.
It will just perform a few calculations wrongly when you do your
studies. Wrongly in a very subtle way and only at random times. This
would make it very hard to back-trace a mistake and to verify
whether the code is right or wrong. If TS would be some
wordprocessor you couldn't care less but .......

So if there are really so many software pirates out there then
without any doubt they will very happily sell or give to you software
with fake codes because it would be very hard for you to find out
whether the software works or not or whether you DRAM just had some
hick-up. - In any case you could hardly claim your money back and
they would feel happy because they just legged over another crook..
Omega could even put copies on their FTP server for downloading (evaluation).

So, who in his right mind would buy such a software from anyone else
other than Omega because they would be the only ones who could verify the
code. This way they could even control the second-hand market.

The snag with the personalized software is that it would allow Omega
to trace the software back when someone tries to verify his code and
to generate a verification mechanism which is hard to break.

As everyone knows: Any software protection can be broken. But who
will use broken software if he doesn't know whether it is really
broken and his livelyhood depends on it ?

Gerrit Jacobsen