Re: NT "hacking"

Colin,

Windows NT does not have a set of *.pwl files that hold account
information. The accounts on an NT Workstation are held the Security
Accounts Manager Database or SAM. This is a portion of the NT Registry
that cannot be accessed under normal circumstances. If the NT 4.0
Workstation has not have Service Pack 3 installed on it, and it is on a
network there are some tools that will allow you to take a stab at using
a dictionary attack on the hash codes in the SAM. Otherwise, I would
suggest you rebuild the machine.

Also, I assume the prior comment on *.pwl files was related to an
experience with Windows 95. In Windows 95 to bypass any security press
the f8 key when the system is booting and select Safe Mode.

Regards,
Eric