[Metastockusers] Re: Reming templates -- "ERROR OPENING FILE"

Thanks to Roy and Tony for your help in clearing up my problem with
changing the default template.

Even after taking the steps outlined in previous posts, when I tried to
save my changes “as the default template” I continued to get the message
“ERROR OPENING FILE.” This morning I worked with equis support (Lynn
(sp.?)(Len?) = always extremely helpful). Following are the steps we took
to solve the problem.

I’m running windows xp. Closed metastock. Went to my computer/windows
explorer: c: -- program files – equis – metastock – charts – open charts –
control a – right click – properties – “hidden” is checked, “read only” is
empty – unchecked “hidden – apply.

Clicked “back” so I could get back to the charts folder itself. Right
clicked on charts folder itself – properties --  chart folder is “read
only” also “hidden” – unchecked both – clicked OK – message:  “you have
chosen to make the following attribute changes blah blah” – clicked OK –
right clicked on charts folder again, but “read only was checked again.
This is apparently a weird xp thing, is actually not “read only” anymore or
else there would be an “access denied’ message. Still, unchecked “read
only” yet again, clicked apply, clicked OK.

Opened charts – right clicked on default.mwt – chose “rename” – renamed it
as “old default”.mwt (without the quotation marks). Closed out of explorer.
Opened metastock. Opened up the chart where I had made changes before (for
testing purposes), still looked the same as before. Right clicked on it,
and saved it as a default template without any problem.

The way to test whether the new default has really been saved successfully
is to go to – file – NEW – chart and then pick anything and then open it
up, because you don’t want to pick an existing smart chart that may or may
not have been built from the new template. Need to open up a new unsaved
chart based off the default template.

Since metastock automatically opens existing smart charts, at this point I
deleted the Mssmart folders and I’m ready to rock and roll, which is to
say, vast riches are once again within easy reach.

Best regards,
Philip

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/zMEolB/TM