Re: [Metastockusers] Linking to Excel

<< Thanks for your reply, Jay. That's not the answer I was hoping for but I guess it's reality. Equis support just told me pretty much the same thing.Go another round with me, would you?1) Can I at least get the daily prices from Metastock into Excel: O, H, L, C?2) I can still perfrom the OLE linking of formulas, though, right?Philip>>

Hi Philip:

All of my experience with the OLE link is as I described earlier, a select, then cut and paste.  That seems to go for formulas too.  However, the formulas aren't linked but the values that they produce are linked, and for an individual chart only.  That is, if you select a moving average (or any other indicator) from a chart and do a Ctrl C (copy), what pastes into Excel are the dates and values.  As I understand it, OLE is what Windows 98 began to support by interchanging objects (pictures) and data between applications, via the clipboard.  Metastock does nothing but conform to Windows 98 and above, which means they can handle it.

When I want to send someone a MS chart, my preference is to do a copy of the chart (right click, and copy) and insert into Word.  Word has as good a graphic handling capabilities as loads of graphic programs and you can then insert the chart in email - and - it doesn't require any 3rd party software.  Word also retains excellent graphic sharpness.

To get around the OLE link for your daily prices, use The Downloader and do a convert from MS to Excel for your data files.

Jay

The MS Help info on OLE:

One of the great features found in many programs designed for Windows  98 and NT 4.0 is the ability to create links between programs using OLE (object linking and embedding).  For example, you could create an OLE link between MetaStock and Excel.  Data that exists in the Excel spreadsheet could be plotted in MetaStock.  If the data changes in Excel, the changes will also be made in MetaStock because of the OLE link.  (Note that Excel 7.0 can only handle a Paste Link of about 1,000 records.  Excel 97 doesn't have this limitation).

OLE links are created by copying data from one OLE compatible Windows application and then pasting it (using the Paste Special command in the Edit menu) to the other application.  When using the Paste Special dialog, be sure to look at the helpful messages at the bottom of the dialog.  These instructions will guide you through the process of creating the link.
If you right click on an indicator in MetaStock that has been paste linked from another application (i.e., Excel, Lotus 123, etc.), two options appear in the shortcut menu—Update Link and Open Link.

Use the Update Link command to refresh the indicator in MetaStock with the data from the server application (i.e., Excel, Lotus 123, etc.).  Choose Open Link to open the server application so that you can edit the data in the server application.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Metastockusers/