[Metastockusers] Re: An ICE experiment-- Opt levels defined

Okay, Jay, you've got the last word. It's a BUST!!!

For anyone who is wondering what the opt levels are: opt 1 is the
indicator period value, opt 2 and opt 3 are the threshold values (if
only opt 2 is given, it's a pivot point) and opt 4 is the level of
the stop loss as defined in IntelliStop. I think those opt
definitions are in the manual.

As I said, Adaptick says they're preparing a table with each
indicators opt levels defined so you won't need experience to figure
them out. They told me they will email a new pdf manual to everyone
who has bought the early release copy.

Anyone buying the product might ask Adaptick how long the return
period is. I believe it's 60 days, but I couldn't find it on their
website.

Right now ICE is not for beginners because the manual is not detailed
enough for a beginner. That was one of the issues I discussed with
them, and it's my understanding they are preparing material to help a
new MS user develop their own trading system with ICE. I have no idea
when all this is going to get done.

I've been doing my own systems long enough, it's easy for me to see
the value of the product and how to use it. However, some of the
values that ICE has returned have surprised me. I have learned a
great deal of new information about a few indicators because I was
trying to figure out how to interpret the values I got. My first
impluse was to email them and say their optimization was off, but as
I studied the indicator and it's various values, thresholds and
interpretations, I realized what ICE gave me was right. When I put it
on a chart, it surprised me as to how good it worked.

As I've said, I don't take every opt value literally because
mathematical testing is inflexible. I can't read indicators the way a
computer can so my discretionary judgement is part of my trading. I
sometimes change things because I like the way it works for me. If I
can't read an indicator at its optimum value, then it's not optimum
from a human applications standpoint. I also look at many
optimizations because one optimization can vary only slightly from
another one but the opt 1 variable and the thresholds can be
completely different.

Jay's opinion is very different than mine, as I would imagine his
trading style and system are also very different from mine. It's all
part of trading and using different approaches.

JO

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, JayTownsend@xxxx wrote:
> <<Since you have been dis-satisfied from the moment you discovered
it
> didn't come with open code, I would not bother with it. The
> probablity is really low that will grow on you over time.>>
>
> It's not just the lack of ability to view the formula, but they
don't give
> you a clue as to what they are optimizing.  You can look at the
stochastic
> results and see that they have 3 optimizations.  But what the hell
are they?  Equis
> 'standard' stochastic optimization results optimizes 2 items.  ICE
optimizes
> 3 - of what?  My stochastic optimized 4.
>
> To say that their results are "normalized" is a gross misnomer.
You can
> normalize results by going over several years of data or as in the
case of
> futures, several years of the same month's data.
>
> ICE is WORSE than a black box.  It doesn't give you a clue as to
what's
> happening.  It's a bust.
>
> Jay

Rent DVDs from home.