[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: RJ's got me again!

Actually you bought a license to use the product, and you have no
right to transfer the license. That's a typical way of selling
software. We sold our software the same way.

When I said you BOUGHT Metastock I was being a little too casual for
this board, I guess. I should have stated things in their full
formality to keep the intellectual integrity of what I was writing.

As far as working for Equis, I'm retired but not from Equis, Reuters
or their afflilates, but I am curious why every time someone posts
something that's contrary to popular opinion or a favorable product
review, they immediately get accused of being a shill for the
company. A little paranoid, I think, or maybe just a nice effort at
discrediting what was said without making any kind of logical
rebuttal. Sounds like politics to me.

JO

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "R.J.Mauchline" <rjmods@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi,
>    May I point out just one inconstistancy with your article.
However before I go there it would seem to me without you saying so
that in fact you do work in some form for Equis.  The statement which
you make and I would like to take to task is where you say we
(individually) BOUGHT the program MS - did not lease it but BOUGHT
it.  Seems to me from what has been previously said that in fact we
did not buy it ( we were hoodwinked into thinking we had bought it)
but in fact we are leasing it - why - because we cannot sell what we
purportably bought - seems then we are in a leasing situation and in
this case all upgrades improvements etc should be supplied free as
part of a leasing aggreement. Just food for thought.

> rjmods

Equis's Development List

>   How software gets updated is an interesting process and based on
>   priority list I'll tell you about. Then I'll give you some clues
as
>   to how to get on the priority list and how to move up. Read all
of
>   the post, the secret is at the bottom.
>
>   First you have to understand how the list is made up. Here's the
list
>   of priorities for upgrading software.
>
>   1. Technical problems that impact the use of the software. OS
>   conflicts, hardware problems, crashes, etc.
>
>   2. Changes being forced on the developer by other companies who
are
>   constantly changing protocols, moving from 16 bit to 32 bit real
time
>   applications (speed issue, and Metastock needs more speed), data
>   vendors who don't follow published protocols, etc.
>
>   3. Changes that need to be made to keep up with changes in the
>   market. Other companies don't sit on their asses. They add things
>   that help sell their product so you've got to keep up in some
kind of
>   way. The feedback here comes from the marketing department.
>
>   4. Changes that serve the long-term strategic business objectives
of
>   the company. Example: Microsoft incorporated and tried to
integrated
>   Internet Explorer into their OS.
>
>   5. Technical support issues. Tech support defines a list of
issues
>   that they get called about most often. These need to be fixed
because
>   tech support costs money and doesn't make you any, so the fewer
phone
>   calls, the lower the cost.
>
>   6. Customer suggestions ranked in the order of what has been most
>   requested. This one is the lowest priority. Do you know why?
Think
>   about it.
>
>   Before the entire upgrade planning process takes place a budget
has
>   been set. It's usually a percentage of the revenues from that the
>   software generates, but sometimes it's more because there's a
>   strategic purpose to the software that goes beyond the sales it
>   creates by itself. The budget dollars translate into programming
time
>   and resources. Everything on the list is prioritized and the
priced
>   out in terms of those resources. The list is evaluated with
various
>   people in management and the process begins.
>
>   About 70 to 90% of the way through the process, various managers
come
>   in and say they need more changes and each change is life and
death.
>   Now the release is delayed while the systems people and
management
>   figure out what can and can't be done and what it's going to
cost.
>   After that gnashing of teeth is completed, the program is
finished
>   and goes out for beta testing. Of course, beta testing turns up
many
>   new surprises that have to be fixed before the final release.
>
>   So where's the established users in all of this. Equis wants to
keep
>   you happy, but just happy enough not to complain too much or to
>   switch products. That's as happy as they need you to be because
>   you've already bought the product and invested a huge amount into
it
>   in terms of time and emotional energy. Those are big barriers to
>   switching. You know it and Equis knows it. TradeStation has a
better
>   programming language so why aren't you switching instead of
>   complaining?
>
>   As for the new customers, the vast majority of Metastock's new
>   customer's don't have a clue why they're buying the software or
what
>   it can and can't do. When I read these posts I can tell that a
lot of
>   you still don't have a clue. A few people buy Metastock because
>   they're switching from some other package that some of you say
will
>   do "anything and everything I need" except it didn't so something
>   those people thought their lives depended on that metastock does
>   better. And finally, there are a few traders who actually know
>   Metastock and are buying with their eyes open.
>
>   The list of items under #6 above is decided on by how many
questions,
>   phone calls, tech support time, etc metastock gets about an
issue.
>   Your list of stuff is already on the bottom of the funding. If
Equis
> [...]
>   market. We had another guy call and want to know why we only made
the
>   software for Windows and not Apple OS. Well, because out of the
last
>   20,000 copies we've sold we've only talked to one customer who
had an
>   Apple computer trying to run his cal lab--that's why. Everybody
>   thinks that everybody else wants chaos theory formulas, Fib
>   everything, Gann out the rear, but the truth is it's a small
minority
>   of customers who want that stuff.
>
>   Equis tries to satisfy this need by producing the add-ons for the
>   Gann boys or Chinese cycle freaks. That way they can get someone
else
>   with the expertise to write the code and they can do the other
stuff
>   higher on their list.
>
>   I'm sorry to say there just isn't much money in writing books or
>   programming tools. If there was, do you think all of the smart
boys
>   and girls in the TA biz would pass up this opportunity. Of course
not!

>   I just hope Roy makes enough from his work to feel like it was
worth
>   his time and effort because if he doesn't it's going to be even
>   longer before someone else comes along and tries again.
>
>   The secret to getting anything on Equis's list is to round up
several
>   hundred to several thousand Metastock users, get them to agree on
the
>   ten things they most want to see fixed in Metastock, have them
either
>   call individually or email with the same list of ten items. If
there
>   are enough of them Equis will put the items on the priority list
and
>   they will get fixed. It's that simple.
>
>   Here's my bet. You couldn't get 25 Metastock users on this board
>   agree on a list of ten things that need fixing much less several
>   hundred to a few thousand, so don't plan your complaints getting
>   addressed anytime soon.
>
>   We don't make a DOS version, we aren't going to turn back the
clock
>   and make one next year either, and it's hundreds of thousands of
>   dollars cheaper to give the one Apple user a free Intel computer
with
>   their software purchase, than to write even a basic version of
the
>   code for Apple users--unless of course Apple users are willing to
pay
>   $800,000 a copy.
>
>   JO
>   P.S. I'm not sticking up for Equis. They've got some problems
they
>   need to address if they want to keep on going on, but I haven't
seen
>   any of those problems mentioned in these posts. As I remember
Eduardo
>   was asking about plug-ins---he didn't send out a venting
invitation,
>   did he? I know you all feel like you have real gripes, but
everything
>   runs on money, not emotion.
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.