Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] IsDefined function

Hi JD

You only have to try to use the function once or twice to realize how
useless it is. Actually that's not true. I struggled with it many times, as
I do with any MS problem, before finally giving up in frustration.

The Book title you suggest is the "de facto" title for the moment. Thanks
for the suggestion.

Roy

> Yuou are excatly right. The IsDefined and IsUndefined functions are
complete
> misnomers. I had posed a question to Equis tech support over 2 years ago
> about them, and their response was:
> ==============================
> IsDefined is a true or false signal.  However both true and false have to
be
> possible values in the chart.  IsDefined will illustrate graphically those
> periods within a chart where the formula is defined and where it is not
> defined.
>
> For example load a chart with 400 days.
>
> Plot the formula IsDefined(MOV(C,200,E)) in this chart.  You will see this
> indicator graph displays a 0 for the first 199 periods of this
> chart and plots a +1 day 200 to day 400 in the chart.   IsDefined is a
> way to see within a chart where the indicator would not return a value and
> where it would return a value.
>
> However IsDefined is just like any other indicator in that it cannot be
used
> in a chart that does not have at least enough data to calculate the value
of
> the formula it encloses at least one time so that it can identify when it
is
> defined compared to when it is not defined.
> ==============================
>
> They basically treat it as a True or False argument but do not allow a
> substitute to be selected in case of False. A complete dead end.
>
> Regards
>
> JD
> PS: A suggestion for your book title: Metastock Tips & Tricks
>

> From: "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: ROY'S BOOK
> Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:02:47 +1200
>
> Hi Preston
>
>  > Now to the answer...this works for me. The more I thought about the
>  > barcount the more I liked the idea. I have no experience with
>  > Isdefined() and Isundefined() so I'll have to play with it some.
>
> These functions should, in my opinion, have an option that allows an
> alternative user defined plot when the subject plot is N/A. The fact that
> each function is only capable of a binary plot makes them almost useless.
> Immediately the N/A plot is added (externally) to either of these
functions
> the very problem that they should cure pops up again. An intelligent
> implementation would allow the user to specify the offending plot AS WELL
AS

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/BefplB/TM