[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Downloader question - updating company name

Salim:

I had a similar problem, and worked out a solution which may also work
for you. I don't know what version of Metastock you have, but
Metastock 8 will accept names of 30-35 characters, whereas older
versions (not sure which ones) would only accept 16 characters.
Therefore, vendors who supply Metastock data in the old 255/folder
format supply only 16 characters for the names. That may be part of
the problem that you have.

Here is a workaround (this assumes you want US stocks and mutuals
funds).

First, make sure you have the latest Metastock Symbol database. (You
can access this from Metastock)

Open the Downloader. Go to File->New->Security. Assuming that you want
US stocks, select Stocks-Common. Make sure the list is sorted by stock
name. Select the number of stocks which fit the format that your data
provider supports (255/folder, 2000/folder, or 6000/folder). Set the
Opening date to the earliest date on the stocks in your current
database, "check" decimal, daily, etc. This will create a folder which
contains NO data, but the name and stock symbols as supplied by
Metastock. Create as many folders as you want/need this way.

Then go to Tools->Convert. Set both Source and Destination Fle type to
Metastock. In Browse Source, select the appropriate folder from your
current database. Select All stocks.

In Browse Destination, set the appropriate destination folder from the
new folders that you just created (do NOT output to multiple folders
here). The in Options->Source, set the 1st date to the earliest date
that you created above, and "check" use today's date for last. All of
the other options should be grayed out.

In Options-Destination, "check" append data to end of file, replace
matching data, and include open/open interest. Do NOT check anything
else! Select OK, OK, etc.

This will create a folder which contains the symbol and name from the
Metastock symbol database, and the data from your original folder.

Any stocks that were in your original folders, but NOT in Metastock's
symbol database will NOT be converted. You will have to handle those
manually (see other note below).

NEVER use the Copy function to perform this task. You would have
gotten your original folder shortened stock name if you had.

Two shortcomings with this approach. One, it only works with stock
names that can be accessed via the Lookup method. If you have a list
of stocks that are not on Metastocks' symbol list (such as overseas
stocks) then you will have to create an ASCII file, and use that
instead. The Downloader instruction book tells you how to do that.

Second, if you follow US Mutual Funds, the Metastock Lookup list
places a # before the symbol of each fund, because that is how Reuters
does it. This probably won't work with your data supplier. If your
data supplier supplies funds with no prefixes or suffixes, (i.e.
FSAIX), then Metastock support can supply you with a symbol file that
has had the # deleted. Then you can follow the same procedure as for
stocks, for funds.

This should do it. But try it first on a small folder, to make sure
you have everything done correctly, before you convert the rest.

If your data supplier uses the symbol as the trigger for updating (I
think almost all do) then you will be able to download directly to
these new folders that you have created. Once you have tested to make
sure it all works, then you can delete your original folders.

Harry

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "salim_dhalla" <salim_dhalla@xx

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/BefplB/TM