[Metastockusers] MetaStock 8.0 and Unfair Advantage Data Problems

Hi:

I am asking for feedback from anyone running MetaStock 8.0 or 8.01 under Windows XP and who are using CSI's Unfair Advantage for their data source.

I have been using Unfair Advantage (UA) for about 4 months now and am having difficulty with the UA data and would like to know if anyone else is having a similar problem.

I collect Futures data only and the corresponding cash data.  Within UA there are two options that you can take for data updates.  One is to have the program "append to files when possible" in which case UA opens the existing files and appends the data.  If that field is not checked, UA rewrites all of your files in all portfolios, even history files for which no data updates are made.  I have in the neighborhood of 500 or more files and when I choose the append option, my update and data distribution takes about 5 minutes on my P4 1.8 MHz Windows XP machine.  When I uncheck that box my update and distribution takes almost 60 minutes.

The problem I'm having is that when I use UA's "append" option, it starts screwing up the data in MetaStock only.  The data in UA's charts and displays are not affected.  One or more of the daily data entries are shifted either right or left, by one decimal point thereby screwing up the charts.  Sometimes a daily value of zero is inserted when in fact there are valid entries for the day.  This happens primarily in the cash data collected, and is cumulative.  That is, if one or two files are screwed up on day one, it is more than likely that three or four files will be screwed up by day two, and it gets even worse after that.  This happens primarily in my cash data but can happen in my futures data too.  The only way to avoid this problem is to uncheck the "append" option and let it rewrite all files to the tune of a 60 minute process.  It's aggravating to say the least and UA tech support is saying I'm the only person on the planet who has this problem and they are running me around in non-solution circles.

I have some questions that I would like to ask of the MetaStock 8.0 or 8.01 users who are using Unfair Advantage for their data source.

1.  Do you run MetaStock 8.0 or 8.01 under Windows XP and use Unfair Advantage for your data source?

2.  If your answer to #1 is yes, then are you collecting futures data?

3.  Regardless of your answer to #2, if your answer is yes to #1, are you having any problems with MetaStock's reading of the Unfair Advantage data?

If at all possible I would like to know how many people are actually running MS 8.0/01 under Windows XP and using Unfair Advantage.  That will then help give me a base of understanding whether in fact I have a real problem or if it's all in my head, as UA tech supports implies.

If you don't wish to tie up the group email you can respond off list to:

JayTownsend@xxxxxxx

Thanks much,

Jay

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor