[Metastockusers] Use of Variable in Explorer

I have Metastock 8.01, EOD version. I am trying to use variables while writing formulas for the various columns of the Explorer, and I am having some problems.

For example, if I put in Column A:
period:=40;
HHV(CLOSE,period)

I get the correct HHV for 40 periods.

But if I then go to column B and input:
ROC(close,period,percent)

Explorer won't accept it. Column B seems to have to be formulated as follows for it to work:
period:=40;
ROC(close,period,percent)

That means if every column uses a formula with a PERIOD requirement, I must enter "period:=40;" in every column.

Which then means when I want to change the value of the period from 40 to something else, I have to change it in every column.

That seems to defeat the reason for using a variable. Is there a way around this, so that I can only change the value of the period once, and every column will accept it?

Thanks,

Harry

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.