From: "bex1210" <hmw3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2003 6:17 AM
Subject: [Metastockusers] Use of Variable in Explorer

> I have Metastock 8.01, EOD version. I am trying to use variables while
writing formulas for the various columns of the Explorer, and I am having
some problems.

> For example, if I put in Column A:
> period:=40;
> HHV(CLOSE,period)
>
> I get the correct HHV for 40 periods.
>
> But if I then go to column B and input:
> ROC(close,period,percent)
>
> Explorer won't accept it. Column B seems to have to be formulated as
follows for it to work:
> period:=40;
> ROC(close,period,percent)
>
> That means if every column uses a formula with a PERIOD requirement, I
must enter "period:=40;" in every column.

> Which then means when I want to change the value of the period from 40 to
something else, I have to change it in every column.

> That seems to defeat the reason for using a variable. Is there a way
around this, so that I can only change the value of the period once, and
every column will accept it?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/zMEolB/TM