Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Downloader Problem?

Chuck:

Great Suggestion! I had looked in the Metastock manual first, and
finding nothing there, went to the Downloader manual, which described
how to Delete securities. So of course I assumed that was the only way
to do it. That will teach me to believe the manual!

Anyway, I opened Metastock, went to File->Open, sorted on last date,
selected the stocks I wanted to delete, and clicked on the Delete
icon. Nothing could be simpler!

Thanks for the help. Now if you just know how I can open the
Symbolsdatabase80.dta file, so I can edit out all the stocks that no
longer trade.

Harry

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:
> I think you will find it much easier to delete stocks using
MetaStock rather
> than the downloader.  MetaStock allows you to sort by either the
start or
> end date.
>
> I'll let someone else address your other points.

Downloader, and
> perhaps someone can provide assistance.
>
>   I am trying to delete a large number of securities from my
database which
> no longer trade. So I open the Downloader (direct, not through the
Metastock
> program), and go to Tools->Delete->Securities. There I find a list
of all
> securities in a particular directory. But I cannot "sort" on any of
the
> column headings; especially Last Date, which is what I want. The
list is
> "presorted" by security name. I checked, and none of the other
options in
> the Tools list have the ability to sort either.
>
>   But if I go to File->Open, I can sort on any of the columns
(including
> Last Date) just fine.
>
>   I also notice that moving from feature to feature in the
Downloader seems
> very sluggish. For example, when I select Close from the
> Tools->Delete->Securites window, I often get a "white" rectangular
screen in
> the middle of the Downloader window. It takes about 15 seconds for
it to go
> away. Sometimes I get the same white window when I close other of
the Tools,
> or even closing the File->Open window. Even when I do not get the
white
> window, I am unable to select any of the other drop down menus for
about 15
> seconds. It appears that the Downloader must be searching for
something, but
> I haven't performed any operations--just opened and closed windows.
Strange.

>   Is it possible that I have something wrong with my Downloader, or
do they
> all work this way? If this is the way the program works, does anyone
have a
> workaround to the inability for Tools->Delete->Securities to sort
securites
> by Last Date? Going through several thousand securities one by one
to find
> those that have stopped trading is not how I would like to spend an
> afternoon!
>
>   Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
>
>   Harry
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.

Get A Free Psychic Reading!