Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Help with breakout exploration.

David,

Like the way you think!

If you get a chance, check some of Tom Bierovic's work. Ross hook's
also come to mind.

Bierovic simply used MA's of the Low and High.

You're right about the timeframe that I used on KO and the downtrend.
One of the great things about living through the "bubble" is that we
can easily obtain data in bull, bear, and consolidation phases.

The most important thing in TA is knowing what the trend is.

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DAVID  H. LINTON"
<dhlinton@xxxx> wrote:
> Preston
> 1. I see exactly what you mean. On KO, you have to go back to Mar
15, 01 to find this indicator working as a breakout tool. KO has been
in a solid downtrend since then.
> 2. So why does a breakout tool help identify sell points in a
downtrend? The answer is that it signals rallies and, in a downtrend,
short sell opportunities follow the rallies.
> 3. So, here is more of the scan code that, as a breakout tool,
ensures we are in at least a short term uptrend.
> Mov(C,20,S)>Mov(C,40,S) AND C>Mov(C,40,S) AND
> C > Ref(HHV(C,10),-1) AND
> Ref(LLV(O,10),-1) > .95 * Ref(HHV(C,10),-1) AND
> Ref(LLV(C,10),-1) > .95 * Ref(HHV(O,10),-1)
> 4. As an indicator, this should do a better job of pointing out
breakouts that have a better chance of continuing up because they are
in an uptrend. False signals (sees) could be reduced by demanding a
longer term uptrend.
> My thoughts
> David

exploration.

>   Forgot the indicator
>
>   C > Ref(HHV(C,10),-1) AND
>   Ref(LLV(O,10),-1) > .95 * Ref(HHV(C,10),-1) AND
>   Ref(LLV(C,10),-1) > .95 * Ref(HHV(O,10),-1)
>

>   --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pumrysh <no_reply@xxxx>
wrote:
>   > David,
>   >
>   > In order to save time I often use a formula as an indicator.
The
>   > signal is +1 when the condition is met. In your case that is
>   exactly
>   > what I did. When I placed the indicator on a coca-cola chart I
had
>   > number of great sell opps. Keep in mind that the conditions of
your
>   > test and mine were different as they should be. Some systems
work
>   > better on different types of stocks than others...that's not
>   > uncommon. The beauty of being able to test ahead of time is
knowing
>   > which system is likely to work the best.
>   >
>   > A technical analysis should always be aware of varying market
>   > conditions.
>   >
>   > Preston
>   >
>   >
>   > --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DAVID  H. LINTON"
>   > <dhlinton@xxxx> wrote:
>   > > pumrysh
>   > > Can you tell me in some detail what you did.
>   > > This is a MetaStock exploration. As with all explorations, it
is
>   > intended to scan a universe of stocks.
>   > > If you copied it into a new exploration and ran it on COKE
and/or
>   > KO, you would get a result only if the stock was breaking out.
It
>   can
>   > not identify selling opportunities.
>   > > Did you perhaps convert it into an indicator. If so, please
post
>   > the code you used.
>   > > David
opportunities.
>   > >
>   > >   P
>   > >
>   > >   --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DAVID  H. LINTON"
>   > >   <dhlinton@xxxx> wrote:
>   > >   > Here is a breakout scan I have been developing recently.
>   > >   >
>   > >   > C > Ref(HHV(C,10),-1) AND
>   > >   > Ref(LLV(O,10),-1) > .95 * Ref(HHV(C,10),-1) AND
>   > >   > Ref(LLV(C,10),-1) > .95 * Ref(HHV(O,10),-1)
>   > >   >
>   > >   > Comments would be appreciated.
>   > >   > Also, if anyone has the congestion and consolidation
formulae
>   > >   previously mentioned, please post.
>   > >   > Thanks
>   > >   > David
>   > >
>   > >