[EquisMetaStock Group] Copying data files (for Harry)

It's
always hard to figure out exactly what someone is trying to
do.    But I think what you want to do is fairly
easy.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Start
the Downloader, click on tools and then copy.  You can then browse around
and select or, even, multi-select stocks that you want to copy.   When
you click on copy at this point, you are asked for the destination
folder.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Doesn't this achieve what you are trying to do?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
guess I don't know why you already set up symbols in the new folders, as the
copy described above is going to ignore that anyway.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>However, if you've set up the folders with skeleton data files, why not
just do a download for those folders and get complete, fresh, data?
You may be worried about download time or you may not be aware that you can do
this.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
As I
said, it frequently is difficult replying to someone when you don't quite have
all of the picture.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I hope
that I have helped you.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: bex1210
  <hmw3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [mailto:hmw3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent:
  Tuesday, February 25, 2003 6:39 PMTo:
  equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [EquisMetaStock Group]
  Reading the Metastock Symbol databaseI have Metastock
  8. To make it easier for me to manipulate, I plan to transfer my old data
  files from the 255/folder to the newer 2000/folder. While I am doing that, I
  want to set up the folders based on some of the stock groupings in Metastock.
  First I have set up a series of folders based on the symbols in
  "Stocks-Common".But when I use the COPY command, all of the securities
  in my old folders are copied, no matter what symbols I have loaded in my new
  folders. So that means not only do I now have common stocks, but I have
  preferred, etc. in the folder.I contacted Equis support to see if
  there was some way that I could manipulate the settings so that only the
  stocks which appear on the new list were copied from the old folders. They
  said there was not.So then I asked if there was some way that I could
  "read" the Symboldatabase70.dta file? My old stock list is a text file. So If
  I could do a quick compare, then at least I would easily know which stocks had
  to be manually removed.I was told that the Symboldatabase70.dta file
  is written in binary code, so it would require a 'binary editor' program to
  read it. They suggested I search the web for one. I did that. But what
  I find are editors that ouput in hex code. I want something that will create a
  text type listing of the symbols in the Symboldatabase (I am not a
  programmer).Does anyone know of something that will do this job, or
  any other way that I can fairly easily transfer only those stocks which appear
  in my new folders?Thanks for your help,HarryTo
  to:equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor