[EquisMetaStock Group] Reading the Metastock Symbol database

I have Metastock 8. To make it easier for me to manipulate, I plan to transfer my old data files from the 255/folder to the newer 2000/folder. While I am doing that, I want to set up the folders based on some of the stock groupings in Metastock. First I have set up a series of folders based on the symbols in "Stocks-Common".

But when I use the COPY command, all of the securities in my old folders are copied, no matter what symbols I have loaded in my new folders. So that means not only do I now have common stocks, but I have preferred, etc. in the folder.

I contacted Equis support to see if there was some way that I could manipulate the settings so that only the stocks which appear on the new list were copied from the old folders. They said there was not.

So then I asked if there was some way that I could "read" the Symboldatabase70.dta file? My old stock list is a text file. So If I could do a quick compare, then at least I would easily know which stocks had to be manually removed.

I was told that the Symboldatabase70.dta file is written in binary code, so it would require a 'binary editor' program to read it. They suggested I search the web for one.

I did that. But what I find are editors that ouput in hex code. I want something that will create a text type listing of the symbols in the Symboldatabase (I am not a programmer).

Does anyone know of something that will do this job, or any other way that I can fairly easily transfer only those stocks which appear in my new folders?

Thanks for your help,

Harry