[Metastockusers] Metastock futures data

Hello

This damn monopolist machine...:)

Okay, back to business. When I request the continuous contract for
Live Cattle  - @:LCc1#I - I get a chart in which there are frequent
big gaps up or down on exactly the beginning of the month. I used MS
in 1997 and no such gaps were appearing in the continuous contract. I
called MS about it today, and they told me that at the time, Reuters
was buying this data from another vendor, and that vendor took a
weighted average of the days on which the contracts overlapped, thus
producing a smooth chart.

Obviously this chart is not usable for doing TA. Metastock told me
not to hold my breath for a change on this anytime soon. What is the
deal with this - does anyone else feel they need a non-gapping chart
of these contracts which goes back a reasonable number of years? The
person I talked to suggested that futures traders don't use this
continuous contract!

Here are some other contracts with bad data.

@:1PLc1#I...@:CLc1#I...a@xxxx#I

When I told MS Tech support about these problems, they told me that
it's a Reuters problem and that I should call 'THEM'. Ummm.. excuse
me, but aren't 'THEY' also 'YOU' now that 'THEY' acquired you?
Believe it or not - the guy gave me a 1-800 number for Reuters Tech
support. I dialed it... and guess who answered?? A guy at the MS
support desk!! I laughed and told him the story and he said the
Reuters guy was at lunch.

And another thing... what about the fact that all my DOW 30 stocks
have data which doesn't include the opening prices?? This was also
not the case in '97. Candlesticks become a contonuous line of dojis
at that point. I was told that I don't need data going back that far
to trade effectively!! Then I was told that the big institutional
traders are looking at the same data - i.e they don't have access to
the opening price for Microsoft before 1991!! Needless to say, I said
thanks and goodbye at that point.

MS used to be great - I liked the program and the customer service.
This v 8.0 seems a bit shaky, and I'm not sure what's going on with
the data....have I made a $1000 ($Cdn) mistake? My first trading
decision... hope it wasn't the wrong one.