[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Generic formula with variables.

Greg:

I am new to Metastock, and having the same problem (see thread
entitled: "Assigned Variable with Explorer"). Page 354 of the
Metastock 8 manual says explorations will NOT do what you (and I) want
to do. It seems like a real "make work" situation. I am also looking
for a workaround/fix. I hope someone out there has one.

Harry

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Greg" <tardy.g@xxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> I am using the TRIX indicator from S&C of a few month ago.

> TRIX:

> d:= Input("Number of Periods",5,100,13);

> MA:= Mov(C,d,E);

> MA1:= Mov(MA,d,E);

> MA2:= Mov(MA1,d,E);

> ROC(MA2,1,%)

> I named the indicator TRIX.

> If I plot it on a chart, I get the choice of the period in the
dialog box

> appearing when I drag an drop.

> If I use it in the explorer I get the default period, 13,
automatically.

> Is there a way to run an exploration for a 20 day period using the
existing

> indicator ? I tried TRIX(20) without success.

> The idea is to define a basic formula with variables that can be
used as

> parameters (properties) both in the exploration and in other
indicators. For

> example, I could be interestd in plotting a 9 day EMA of a TRIX(35).
This

> would be Mov(TRIX(35),9,E) without having to create a TRIX(35)
indicator.

> To conclude, using Mov(9)TRIX(20) or Mov(14)TRIX(21) with two
generic