[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Assigned Variables in Explorer

Preston:

I probably just don't understand how to do it well enough. Here is
what my Version 8 manual says, on page 354, regarding variables for
explorations:  "...However, if a rule uses the fml() function to call
the results of a custom indicator, and the custom indicator uses the
input () function, the fml () function will only use the assigned
default input value--the Explorer will not prompt for input."

That says to me that every time I want to run the exploration with a
different Period, I have to first open the custom indicator, change
the default value, and then run the exploration. Is that the sequence,
or am I missing something here?

Thanks for all your help to those of us who are new to Metastock.

Harry

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pumrysh <no_reply@xxxx> wrote:

> Harry,

> Use the "FML" function to reference existing formulas or in your
case

> set periods/variables.

> Make an indicator and call it Periods. Set the periods as you wish.

> Then in the explorer you can call that number by using fml(Periods).

> This is discussed in the owners manual.

> Preston

> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bex1210 <hmw3@xxxx>"

> <hmw3@xxxx> wrote:

> > I recently purchased, and am evaluating, Metastock 8. I have never

> used Metastock before, but have some older technical analysis

> software.

> > I have two related questions today:

> > 1) Any Exploration I create, according to the manual, will accept

> assigned variables. I have an exploration which uses a MA in columns

> A-C, and in the filter. I want to be able to easily change the
period

> for the MA, so in Column A I placed       Period:=28;	   on the

> first line, and    mov(c,Period,E)     on the second.

> >  I then went to each of the other columns and replaced the

> appropriate number with the word     Period.

> > But it doesn't work. I get an error message. Do I have to place
the