Re: [Metastockusers] Metastock/eSignal

Thanks Henry, for an intelligent post.

I use Metastock but also use eSignal.  I have  turned more and more to
eSignal.

As a result I thought I'd update you on eSignal as some of your comments on
eSignal/AGET are out of date.

FYI, eSignal is very rapidly improving their capabilities.
Now has over 100 indicators and a custom programming language based on Java
Script. Use it for indicators, system tests, alerts, etc.  Not so easy to
learn as MS language, but next version will have a Formula Wizard which will
help a great deal.

Support will create custom indicators for you.

Now have backtesting capability (not as good as MS, but there nonetheless).

Now have price alerts (audio, email, pager, etc.) and soon will have alerts
based on indicators.

Has paper trade.

Next version will have replay capability.

Next version has very good and easy to use drawing capability almost like
Metastock.

Have integrated trade capability with certain brokers. You can have the
program automatically trade for you if that is your thing.

In addition to the AGET indicators, they have Jan Arps indicators and others
but they cost extra (not unlike MS).

To be fair, some of these features are still a bit incomplete but the
committment to go forward rapidly is very evident.
They have about 3 releases/year, it seems.  And they ask their users what
they want!

They have eSignal Central where users can discuss, post files, post
pictures, ask questions, etc of other users, support staff, etc.

These guys are serious about support and improving the capabilities for
serious traders.  And the data reliability can't be beat.

This is  different model than Metastock.  You buy data and the program is
thrown in.  The program is useless without the data, and won't work with
anyone else's data. It also doesn't give you much over Metastock if you only
do End of Day trading.

Metastock remains a great program and is very useful to me, but I believe
their target market is evolving to be more of a mass market than serious
traders.  I would guess they are after the TC2000/Omnitrader type market.
Hence all the add ons, etc. that supposedly do all the work for you.  But I
have never had anything but superb support from Metastock.  Plus the
documentation remains among the best, if not THE best.

Competition is wonderful for traders.

Happy New Year  and best of trading to you!

.