  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; <A
  title=metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; <A
  title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 3:21
  PM
  Subject: Brian Bell's BWL

  List,

  For the many that have asked for notes on Brian
  Bell's presentation...here's the high points (I think).:

  1. The "Bell Warning Line" differs from Chande's
  VIDYA and Kaufman's Adaptive moving average
      a.  VIDYA and the
  AMA:  as the market speeds up, the indicator gets faster; as the market
  slows, so does the indicator
      b.  BWL:  as the
  market speeds in a direction, the BWL slows down; as the market speed slow,
  the BWL gets faster

  2.  In a consolidation, there are a lot of
  swing highs and swing lows...in a strong move, there are no swing highs or
  swing lows

  3.  Finding a swing high:  Strength =
  1:  There must be at least one lower high on each side of the swing
  high.  Strength = 2: There must be at least two lower highs on each side
  of the swing high bar.

  4. Count how many bars since a swing high or
  swing low has occurred.

  5.  The smoothing constant is inversely
  proportional to the number of bars since a swing high or swing
low

  6.  User specifies:  "StartSC" - the
  "starting smoothing constant" & "Sensitivity" - the "strength" of the
  swing high and swing low bars

  7.  How to calculate the BWL:

  bsHigh = bars since swing (Strength)
  bsLow = bars since swing low
  (Strength)
  p = min(bsHigh, bsLow)
  sc = StartSC / p
  BWL = (1 - sc) * BWL(previous) + sc *
  Price

  Wow, another lagging indicator that behaves
  similar to a 21 day simple moving average.  Since the implementation of
  this indicator is totally subjective and it's not used as a timing
  device...personally, I can't find a use for it in my work.

  I hope I didn't violate the spirit of this
  presentation.  Brian is a real pleasant guy.  I think I have the
  calculations correct.  I took notes with a crayon and I spilled my gin
  and tonic on the handout he supplied....so, this is my best shot.

  Take care,

  Steve
  <A
  href="http://www.cedarcreektrading.com";>www.cedarcreektrading.com

  Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A
  href="http://www.grisoft.com";>http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.351
  / Virus Database: 197 - Release Date:
19/04/2002