RE: Free Statistics Packages

<FONT color=#0000ff
size=5>
Yes, 'brushing'
is not all that unique.  My Minitab does that just fine.  But the
added 'masking' is the cool one --- the right cross after the jab.
Minitab doesn't do that.  Minitab allows you to brush then code an *added*
column in your worksheet, then you can go and delete, and then return to
graphics mode, and re-graph.  HOWEVER, that little WinIDAMS stats program
re-does all the graphs **immediately**, with one press of the 'mask'
button.
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=5>
And, incidentally, the
graphics module can act as a stand-alone graphics module --- there's
an .exe just for it.
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=5>
<FONT
color=#0000ff>Nicholas

  <FONT
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
  owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
  Behalf Of Bob JagowSent: Monday, March 25, 2002 5:57
  PMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free
  Statistics Packages
  Brushing plots
  are hardly unique, Nicholas.
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  Came out of
  Bell Labs 20+ years ago -- was featured in their S statistical analysis
  software. S-Plus is now sold by MathSoft.
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=2>Bob
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=2>

    -----Original
    Message-----From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nicholas
    KormanikSent: Monday, March 25, 2002 2:15 PMTo:
    metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free Statistics
    Packages

    In this particular
    case I'm pointing out that 'tuning the data' is 'virtual' --- you don't
    actually do *anything* to the data set, you merely kick off various data
    points from the graphs.  All the graphs change *as if* the data were
    removed.  That's why this graphing tool is so cool and unique.
    However, there is no way of subsequently saving the thoroughly 'fine-tuned'
    data.
    <FONT
    color=#0000ff>
    <FONT color=#0000ff
    size=5>vis-a-vis
    <FONT color=#0000ff
    size=5>Etymology:French, literally,
    face-to-faceDate:1755

    1 :
    face-to-face with2 : in relation to3 : as compared
    with
    <FONT color=#0000ff
    size=5>
    So, 'face-to-face'
    with the graphs, you can change things.  But the result is ephemeral, a
    facade, a temporary expression.

    <FONT
    color=#0000ff>Nicholas

      <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr
      align=left>-----Original Message-----From:
      owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
      Behalf Of neoSent: Monday, March 25, 2002 2:17
      PMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free
      Statistics Packages
      vis-a-vis seems to
      be an expression that it getting more popular. I thought it meant face to
      face. What does it mean? I do not understand what it means
      here.
      <FONT
      color=#008080>
      the vocabulary
      police  :-)

        -----Original
        Message-----From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nicholas
        KormanikSent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:58 PMTo:
        metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free Statistics
        Packages
        <FONT
        color=#0000ff>
        One feature of
        that stats package I ended up liking is the 'matrix' graphing, and
        the 'brushing' and then 'masking' of 'outliers.'  It's a very
        unique and useful tool.  The only major problem is that once you
        spend all the time masking and fine-tuning your data vis-a-vis the
        graphs, ****you can't save**** the mask list --- when you quit that
        graphics module, you've tumbled the entire house of cards, and if you
        want to see it again you have to start over from the
        beginning.
        <FONT
        color=#0000ff>
        <FONT
        color=#0000ff>Nicholas
        <FONT
        color=#0000ff>

          <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr
          align=left>-----Original Message-----From:
          owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
          On Behalf Of Lionel IssenSent: Monday, March 25,
          2002 10:58 AMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
          RE: Free Statistics Packages
          Doesn't Excel have enough
          statistical functions?

            -----Original
            Message-----From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nicholas
            KormanikSent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 4:58
            PMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free
            Statistics Packages

            That
            statistics package isn't all that easy to use.  It's sort of
            funny that it's intended for Third-World countries --- it's more
            suited for Stanford-types.  I downloaded it and played with it
            a bit, and returned to it later to play some more.  But I think
            there are likely many other stats packages that one would get a lot
            further with more quickly.  My primary stats package and
            spreadsheet program is Minitab --- it does almost everything that I
            want.
            <FONT
            color=#0000ff>
            <A
            href="http://www.minitab.com/";>http://www.minitab.com/
            <FONT
            color=#0000ff>
            <FONT
            color=#0000ff>Nicholas
            <FONT
            color=#0000ff>

              <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr
              align=left>-----Original Message-----From:
              owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David
              JenningsSent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 6:13
              AMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re:
              Free Statistics Packages
              Mine request took a couple of days. The manual is over 400
              pages long so don't expect to become familiar with it in 5
              minutes. however, thus far quite impressed with the time series
              analysis etc.
              <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

                <DIV
                <A title=lissen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx