RE: Free Statistics Packages

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Brushing plots are hardly unique, Nicholas.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Came
out of Bell Labs 20+ years ago -- was featured in their S statistical
analysis software. S-Plus is now sold by MathSoft.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Bob
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
  owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
  Behalf Of Nicholas KormanikSent: Monday, March 25, 2002 2:15
  PMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free
  Statistics Packages

  In this particular
  case I'm pointing out that 'tuning the data' is 'virtual' --- you don't
  actually do *anything* to the data set, you merely kick off various data
  points from the graphs.  All the graphs change *as if* the data were
  removed.  That's why this graphing tool is so cool and unique.
  However, there is no way of subsequently saving the thoroughly 'fine-tuned'
  data.
  <FONT
  color=#0000ff>
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=5>vis-a-vis
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=5>Etymology:French, literally,
  face-to-faceDate:1755

  1 :
  face-to-face with2 : in relation to3 : as compared
  with
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=5>
  So, 'face-to-face'
  with the graphs, you can change things.  But the result is ephemeral, a
  facade, a temporary expression.

  <FONT
  color=#0000ff>Nicholas

    -----Original
    Message-----From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
    neoSent: Monday, March 25, 2002 2:17 PMTo:
    metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free Statistics
    Packages
    vis-a-vis seems to
    be an expression that it getting more popular. I thought it meant face to
    face. What does it mean? I do not understand what it means
    here.
    <FONT
    color=#008080>
    the vocabulary
    police  :-)

      -----Original
      Message-----From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nicholas
      KormanikSent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:58 PMTo:
      metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free Statistics
      Packages
      <FONT
      color=#0000ff>
      One feature of
      that stats package I ended up liking is the 'matrix' graphing, and
      the 'brushing' and then 'masking' of 'outliers.'  It's a very unique
      and useful tool.  The only major problem is that once you spend all
      the time masking and fine-tuning your data vis-a-vis the graphs, ****you
      can't save**** the mask list --- when you quit that graphics module,
      you've tumbled the entire house of cards, and if you want to see it again
      you have to start over from the beginning.
      <FONT
      color=#0000ff>
      <FONT
      color=#0000ff>Nicholas
      <FONT
      color=#0000ff>

        <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr
        align=left>-----Original Message-----From:
        owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
        On Behalf Of Lionel IssenSent: Monday, March 25, 2002
        10:58 AMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
        Free Statistics Packages
        Doesn't Excel have enough
        statistical functions?

          -----Original
          Message-----From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nicholas
          KormanikSent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 4:58
          PMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: Free
          Statistics Packages

          That
          statistics package isn't all that easy to use.  It's sort of
          funny that it's intended for Third-World countries --- it's more
          suited for Stanford-types.  I downloaded it and played with it a
          bit, and returned to it later to play some more.  But I think
          there are likely many other stats packages that one would get a lot
          further with more quickly.  My primary stats package and
          spreadsheet program is Minitab --- it does almost everything that I
          want.
          <FONT
          color=#0000ff>
          <A
          href="http://www.minitab.com/";>http://www.minitab.com/
          <FONT
          color=#0000ff>
          <FONT
          color=#0000ff>Nicholas
          <FONT
          color=#0000ff>

            <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr
            align=left>-----Original Message-----From:
            owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
            On Behalf Of David JenningsSent: Saturday, March
            23, 2002 6:13 AMTo:
            metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: Free Statistics
            Packages
            Mine request took a couple of days. The manual is over 400
            pages long so don't expect to become familiar with it in 5 minutes.
            however, thus far quite impressed with the time series analysis
            etc.
            <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
              <DIV
              <A title=lissen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx