Re: Profit Stops

Any thoughts on this?

I like to move my stops closer as the profits get larger.  This allows me to
have fairly wide stops at the beginning of a trade  (the wide stops at the
beginning of a trade give a higher winning percentage) and then I try to
maximize the size of my winning trades by moving the trailing stops closer so
I give back less of the open profit.  This strategy is for trend following
type trades.

For counter-trend trades I just use a profit target and when I see the profit
I take it.  I have found that counter trend trades generally tend to produce
profits in the neighborhood of 1.5 to 2.0 ATRs.  For trend-following trades I
try to tighten up my stops after 4 ATRs of profit and then hope for more.

I'm leaving for New Zealand this weekend to do a TraderCamp in Vanuatu with
Dr. Elder so I probably won't be able to answer any e-mail messages while I
am out of the country.  I'll be back in the office in April.

Chuck LeBeau
www.traderclub.com