Re: triple witching

Let me give it a try: Stock options generally expire once per month.
The specific day of expiration is the third friday of the month.

Expiration(Settlement) means that the option contract holders receive
or deliver the underlying stock per the contract and current stock
price/strike price.

Futures and options on futures only have quarterly expirations. So once
a quater, stock options, futures and options on futures all expire on
the same day. That is called "tripple witching".

Generally the market tends to be noisy around tripple witching, since
many participants have to get ready to deliver or receive on the
contracts.

Allan

--- ngswkn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I have been a appreciative silent reader of this list for some time.
>
> could someone please explain what this "triple witching day" is all
> about
> this coming friday? All I know is that it involves the expiry of
> options/future/ and somehting else.
>
> thank you
>
> khoon

=====