Re: Trendiness or Congestion measurement - r-squared + Linear regression Slope

  • To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Trendiness or Congestion measurement - r-squared + Linear regression Slope
  • From: "Al Taglavore" <altag@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:01:07 -0800

Yes, I think of Slope as the direction.  The value indicates the degree of
advance/decline.  R-squared is a measurement or "presence of trend", as I
use it.  I just completed a trade on DD that could paint a picture to aid
in interpretation.  If you will pull up the chart DD, open a 23 period
r-squared indicator
(I use the oscillator style of display), then overlay a 13 period slope
(line display), observe the period around 12/29.  You will see how the
slope began the decline while "r" was still at a high value.  When "r"
began to weaken, with Slope still in a downward movement, the first close
below the lowest low of that period (1-3) made a low risk entry for a short
sale.  When Slope turned up for two consecutive days (1-24) and "r" was
above 80, this was, for me,  time to cover the short.

I am also using a 23 period slope to observe the 13/23 crossing, but I have
not seen any significant benefit.  Actually, I think this confuses the
picture.

As to your comment that Slope moves all over the place, that would suggest
to me that  there is very high volatility in that stock,or a tradable trend
is not in place.  Please send me a stock symbol so that I may plot what you
are seeing.  I am watching TXN, but the Slope signals have been late.  But
here again, there is no trend, as I see it.  Rather, it is in a trading
range.  Again, this is simply way that I use the two indicators.

Al Taglavore