Re: Data conversion - a solution?

In Step 12 Equis Support suggested to set the Source Type: to ASCII.
By default, ASCII for Type: will not accept semi-colons ??
Instead, you must use commas ??
Should Equis Support have advised you to also use the Excel option for Source Type:
than (most likely) your CSV-file would have converted, eg being Office97-comp. and so on
but..................in the end you too have had to find out that for format and being compatable
these files are not ever one and the same.

Ever since the DOS-era, CSV stands for Comma Separated Values.
Meaning what it implies: commas dividing the file's data sections("values").
However, I was also surprised to see official Windows-comp. programs like Excel, Word
+ MetaStock not sticking by this official format for CSV-files (eg the comma for separator
and NOT the semi-colon).

And hardly any software program will give 'true commas' for results, in fact most programs
most of the time (thus not always) will expect semi-colons, and on the side will "also"
(but not always) accept "true commas".

Confusing ???? YES INDEED !!!!!

SeveraI times I have forwarded this bug to the Microsoft + Equis Support dep.'s,
but have never received a very satisfying answer.  "It is up the manufacturers"
is all that they've had to say for a solution + the answer to my questioning.

Adjusting the files.

I was going to send you an additional follow-up mail, explaining that there is an easy
work-around for adjusting these files, eg by-passing the use of Excel, and noticed in your
reply mail that you are also capable to use the "Find+Replace"-routine in your Q-program
and also very easy for me to do here in Word97 (for the Downloader files+in general) and
in Excel97.

Downloader Data Files are TAB-dillimited.
The Data copied (the Clipboard contents) from the Downloader's Data File
is TAB-dillimited (see also your original "test1.txt"-file).

You too then can also immediatly 'gain' from this F+R routine when creating your
own 10min Downloader-ready-files, eg by NOT Pasting the Clipboard contents
to Excel but instead, by directly Pasting the contents to your Q-Program's file.

Than, when Downloader Data is Pasted into your Q-Program, Select by dragging the
mousepointer over the blanc white area between any 2 columns, and click Copy
(or "CTRL+C").

Next, open up your F+R dialog window and  Paste this copied selection (eg the
invisable "tab") into the Find+Replace dialog window.
-First place the mousepointer in the Find box and than hit the "CTRL+V" keys.
-Second, switch to and place the mousepointer in the Replace box and type a ","
  eg the comma-character.
-Third, Click to "Replace All" (eg that is one of the options' button-name that is
  available in Word97).

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dismiss the ".nospam" bit (including the dot) when replying and
note the new address change. Also for my Homepage
http://home.planet.nl/~anthmaas