From: metastock-digest <owner-metastock-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <metastock-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 1999 11:30 PM
Subject: metastock-digest V1 #716

> metastock-digest     Saturday, September 11 1999     Volume 01 :
Number 716

> Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 09:41:24 -0400
> From: jim <anncora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Multiple PCs on one ISP line
>
> hello kent...i see you have a rather nice system and i am still
looking for
> a place to trade ...and with someone preferably who has
tradestation..i live
> in lawrencveille and trade mostly alone at my home..i would rather
trade
> with another person and probably 3 days a week..i do not need trading
help
> or technical assistance with my setup...just don't like trading from
day to
> day alone...i do equities...oex and options..have
> tradestation..metastock..and telescan including the option portion and
am
> now ccomparing option vue with tradestation to see if it is
necassary...so
> far it is not...i have win98 and 3 monitors per computer and want to
bring 2
> with me and leave 2 at home...just want to be around a few warm bodies
and
> maybe some disussion but not much is needed...thanks...
>

> eAt 08:11 PM 9/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >I use SyGate.  Recommended by someone on this list.  Installed in
about 30
> >minutes.  Very low cost: $70 for 6 machines.  Seamless on the client
> >systems.  I'm running 4 NT systems and 1 95 system.  SyGate is on one
of my
> >NT systems.
> >
> >Kent
> jim kerwin
> atlanta ..GA....
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:58:48 -0500
> From: "Lionel  Issen" <lissen@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Meta's fib tool
>
> Craig:
>
> While these 2 programs can do this one thing that V6.xx doesn't,  they
also
> do not allow inserting new indicators. They are also a bit pricey.
> .com is $78.00 per month. Over one year this is 50% more than the
costs of
> my data feed and buying a new copy of MS  every year.
>
> What most of us want is a better interface so that we can use other
> programs to develop our trading methods and a better formula/indicator
> language than the simple minded one that now comes with metastock.
>
> Lionel Issen

Metastock
> for
> > charting, displaying indicators, and scanning the markets. Their
charting
> > capabilities are superior to Tradestations and Metastock doesn't
crash my
> > computer like Tradestation does. When Equis catches up Omega will go
> bust.
> >
> > John Manasco
> > > Lionel Issen

Tom
> competitors?

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:58:54 -0500
> From: "Lionel  Issen" <lissen@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Windows API
>
> Walter:
>
> Just do a search using windows explorer.  In my computer it was in the
> folder \program files\Microsoft\ etc Its about 340 pages long.  There
are
> some recent corrections posted at the Microsoft site.
>
> Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
>
> Lionel

Windows
> API
> > (Application Programming Interface) that is covered in the WROX
> programmers
> > reference book. Usually, that kind of access to the Windows platform
and
> > ".dll's" is used by C and C+ programmers.
> >
> > Where Windows API programming is of interest is when you want to
take
> over
> > the entire Excel interface and create your own icon's etc.
> >
> > As I mentioned earlier, you can make Excel look less and less like
Excel
> [...]
> went
> > wrong when things don't work correctly.
> >
> > Personally, I'm going to leave all of that to the C and C+
programmers.
> > "Plain" VBA is complicated enough for an untrained and "clueless"
> programmer
> > such as myself.
> >
> > Maybe Guy or Ton can post some general info about Windows API and
the
> MSDN
> > library files.
> >
> > There's suppose to be a "win32api.txt" file that has all of the
> declarations
> > for the core windows functions written in VBA notation. I don't know
> where
> > it is or how to find it. Maybe Guy uses it in his programming.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Walter
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:01:42 -0500 (EST)
> From: Moe Drippins <ug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Staroffice
>
> Michel Guibert writes:
>

> > http://www.sun.com/staroffice/ Apparently it`s the same as the
> > office suite of microsoft and free for home use Does somebody use it
> > ??????????
>
> I've not looked at this in some time, (way before Sun bought them),
> but at the time this stuff was all tailored for Unix boxen;
> specifically Linux (perhaps FreeBSD as well; not sure).
>
> It may have changed, but I doubt Sun is going to be writing or dealing
> with Windows apps.  Of course, I could be very wrong on that; it HAS
> been awhile.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:33:30 +0200
> From: "Laurent GITTLER" <lgittler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: Meta's fib tool
>
> In fact thats too bad that Equis does not allow external programs to
be
> linked with Metastock. There are a lot with Omega Tradestation. There
are
> now a lot of programs like Jurik Research, MESA, NeuroShell Trader and
> others which may be used as plug ins to tradestation. That's too bad
this is
> not possible with Metastock.
>
> On the other hand, customers at Omega list are really getting upset
with the
> brend new Tradestation Pro2000i. They all say it at most a beta and
still
> very bugged.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> : What does the license state WRT transfer of software to other than
the
> : original purchaser?
>
> I have no idea. I wouldn't touch TS2000i with a 20 ft. pole. That
thing is
> worse than lupus. I tried it once and had to re-format my HD and
reload
> Windows to get rid of it.
>

> : On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Andy wrote:
> :
> : > I thought this might be of interest to some people.

Some
> former Metastock Listers appear on the Ensign List now. Have lots more
> emails if you're interested. Plus brief lessons about the language.
>
> Howard is the owner and main programmer. He writes daily on the Ensign
List.
> There is a constant dialogue going on. Very enlightening.
>
> Best regards
>
> Walter

I've
> grossly misunderstood how your lookback works, this question probably
> doesn't make sense.
>
> - - Given all this, could you talk briefly about the pros and cons of
keeping
> loops within individual procedures/functions versus creating one
master loop
> that would evaluate each bar using various procedures/functions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jonathan Sibley
>
> At 06:29 PM 11/14/98 -0600, Howard Arrington wrote:
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Perhaps you thought about it too much and made it harder than it
really
> needs to be.  Here is my solution.
>
> procedure PivotAlerts;
> var
>  i,j,Strength: integer;
>  AlertHigh,AlertLow: real;
> begin
>  Strength:=Round(GetUser(eParm1));
>  AlertHigh:=99999999; AlertLow:=0;        {initialize in case no
pivot}
>  for i:=BarBeginLeft-Strength to BarEnd do begin
>   SetUser(1,GetUser(1,pred(i)),i);        {plot the high Alert level}
>   SetUser(2,GetUser(2,pred(i)),i);        {plot the low Alert level}
>   j:=Formation(ePivotRange,i,Strength);
>   if j=1 then begin AlertLow:=Low(i); SetUser(2,AlertLow,i); end;
>   if j=2 then begin AlertHigh:=High(i); SetUser(1,AlertHigh,i); end;
>  end;
>  if Last(BarEnd)>AlertHigh then
>   Alert(True, 'Above Pivot '+VarToStr(AlertHigh), clBlue, clWhite, '')
>  else if Last(BarEnd)<AlertLow then
>   Alert(True, 'Below Pivot '+VarToStr(AlertLow), clRed, clWhite, '');
> end;
>
> begin
>  if who=51 then PivotAlerts;
> end;
>
> In my example, I am reading the strength parameter from the 1st box on
the
> User parameter form.  I thought it was helpful to plot the alert
levels as
> well as post the alert message.  If you do not want to plot, you can
remove
> the setuser statements, or uncheck the plot boxes on the User
parameter
> form.
>
> The reason why one does not have to worry about the maybe conditions
is
> because I always reevaluate starting at BarBeginLeft - Strength.  This
is
> the left most bar that might have been a previous maybe condition, and
if it
> is now a pivot it is the one that will move the alert levels to a new
> position.  Just set the values in the SetUser arrays and leave the
plotting
> to EW.
>
> Of course, you can assign this to any of the User Study buttons and
> [...]
Own FREE
> Email List at http://www.listbot.com/
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 11:43:15 -0400
> From: scheier <scheier@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Meta's fib tool
>
> That looks like a HUGE improvement over the canned tool.   Will work
with
> later after the markets close.  Much appreciation....
>
> Mark Scheier
>
> wander@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > scheier wrote:
> >        [snip]
> >
> > > Is anyone aware of way to user-modify this
> > > tool?--as in a way to change the 75% to 78% etc.
> >
> > -------------
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > While waiting for an improved canned version, maybe you could use
this
> > by substituting whatever retracement calcs that you want.  It's
> > a bit klunky compared to the built-in, but could be made easier to
use
> > by deleting or ignoring the date inputs. (But it wouldn't be as
cool.
> > :-))
> > And rather than manually inputting the high and low you
> > could maybe use the Peak and Trough or Zig Zag function to define
swings

> > automatically (like the indicator that Erika posted last year).
> >
> > Ken
> > --------
> >
> >  {FIB Levels - date, extension, and price input}
> > a:=Input("year to begin line study",1800,3000,1999);
> > b:=Input("month to begin line study",1,12,1);
> > d:=Input("day of month to begin line study",1,31,4);
> > ext:=
> > Input("1=extend upward; 2=extend downward; 0=extend not" ,0,2,0);
> > hi:=Input("high",0,20000,100);
> > lo:=Input("low",0,20000,50);
> > BeginPlot:=Year()=a AND Month()=b AND DayOfMonth()=d;
> > y:=ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,(hi-(hi-lo)*1.618));
> > If(ext=2,y,lo);
> > ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,lo);
> > ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,((hi-lo)*.236)+lo);
> > ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,((hi-lo)*.382)+lo);
> > ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,((hi-lo)*.5)+lo);
> > ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,((hi-lo)*.618)+lo);
> > ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,((hi-lo)*.764)+lo);
> > ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,hi);
> > x:=ValueWhen(1,BeginPlot,((hi-lo)*1.618)+lo);
> > If(ext=1,x,hi);

> >  [Image]
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:01:54 -0500
> From: "Harley Meyer" <meyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Staroffice
>
> I downloaded it several days ago. It is similiar to MS Works in the
sense
> that you have one program that can open spreadsheets or word
documents. It
> also allows you to access the internet, etc through this single
program.  I
> have used it a little just to see what it was like. I am not sure if
I'll
> use it that much since I have Office Professional 95. But for a free
program
> you're getting a good deal. If you don't have a fast download, be
prepared
> to wait, since the file is about 64 megs.
>
> Harley

Walkenbach's CD
> that comes with his book on Excel 2000 programming.
>
> Best regards
>
> Walter

Works
> has one program to work with databases, documents, spreadsheets, etc.
That
> was the point I was trying to make in my first post.
>
> As for the 64 MB, that I believe was the download file. How big the
actual
> program is I don't know. Nor do I know the full capabilities of Star
Office
> 5.1. But I will say this about Star Office. If I had the choice of
spending
> approx. $300 for Microsoft Office or get Star Office for free. I would
take
> Star Office. For what I do as a small business I do not use all the
power of
> MS Office Proffessional. But on the other hand Star Office 5.1 also
has many
> capabilities that go beyond what I use as a small business.
>
> So to answer your question. Download it, try it and if you don't like
it
> delete it. Nothing lost but a little time. I have DSL and the download
at
> about 50 Kbp/sec took about 1/2 hour. When it first started to
download it
> was at a rate of about 4 to 6 Kbp/sec and it showed an estimated time
> download of 8+ hours.
>
> If you are looking for some specific features in star office e-mail
their
> support. Might save you some time.
>
> Harley

    - Current
> - -------                                          --------
                            -------------
> 10yr/yield ECB â,¬uro Rate       - (before
0507)Negative   -unchanged, Negative
> 10yr/yield Japan ¥en Rate      -
e                -unchanged, Negative
> 10yr/yield US $ollar Rate        -
e                -unchanged, Negative
> AEX                                           -
                 -unchanged, Positive
> AEX-Volume                            -
                -unchanged, Negative
> DAX 30                                     -
                -unchanged, Positive
> DJ EURO STOXX 50              -
                -unchanged, Positive
> Dow Indu                                   -
                 -990908-Negative ***
> Dow Transp                              -
e                -unchanged, Negative
> Dow Utils                                  -
                -990908-Negative ***
> HangSeng                                -
                -unchanged, Positive
> Nikkei 225                                -
                -unchanged, Negative
> SP500                                      -
                -unchanged, Positive

> ***=adjusted (in todays report)
> (for explanation see previous mail dated 990818)
>
> Regards,
> Ton Maas
> ms-irb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Dismiss the ".nospam" bit (including the dot) when replying and
> note the new address change. Also for my Homepage
> http://home.planet.nl/~anthmaas
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:54:19 -0500
> From: "Michael Robb" <mrobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Staroffice
>
> Harley:
>
> Thanks.  Have space, I'll try it.
>
> Mike
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:30:06 +0200
> From: "A.J. Maas" <anthmaas@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Staroffice
>
> Correcting your typo:
> StarOffice is NOT the same as the Microsoft Office-suite.
> It doesn't even qualify as a (cripled) standard office-suite let alone
an Office-clone.
> Its so very basic.
> (the Microsoft Works-suite is even a penthouse compared to the
basement
> program that StarOffice is).
>
> For starters StarOffice is one(1) application only (StarOffice).
> Within the StarOffice-application you can work with templates (eg in a
task like
> manner), known in Windows and familiar from Windows compatible
programs
> (1x right-click and click "New" and a list of possible new files is
presented and
> all options (Folder, Textdocument, Shortcut, Briefcase and others) are
all the
> <official>  Windows registred 'templates').
>
> Clicking File|New will present the StarOffice templates (in a "task
like" manner)
> like starting out with a new text document or a new spreadsheet etc.
and all of
> these can than be saved in the DBF-dBase, TXT-NotePad or RTF or Word97
> or Excel97 formats).
>
> The closest it gets to is the also multi-functional Microsoft Office's
Word-application.

> Any other  <in a standard office suite>  available application is
plain missing, eg
> also especialy all the other applications, extra's and luxuries that
come with
> the Microsoft Office suite are not included.
>
> Like mentioned before, there are some nice programs entering the
markets, eg
> that originate from Germany, India & Israel (and several other
countries).
> The StarOffice program is one of them, was developed in Germany and
was
> also freely distributed to replace the former <but oh so very simple>
DOS-programs
> (with the same type of "activities/names") by a Windows
compatible-program.
> Further development of the program was haulted for financial reasons
(and in the
> meantime Corel or Sun came into the picture, eg the SO-company +
brandname
> + source/copyrights were taken over)
> http://www.staroffice.de
> http://www.stardivision.de
>

> Regards,
> Ton Maas
> ms-irb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Dismiss the ".nospam" bit (including the dot) when replying and
> note the new address change. Also for my Homepage
> http://home.planet.nl/~anthmaas

comma-delimited
> text file (.csv).  Unfortunately, I use QuattroPro and I cannot create
> comma-delimited files.
>
> Can I get someone's help to test Equis's solution?  I can provide the
input
> data, if required, and below is Equis's recommended procedure.

> Tick files could be converted to 5, 10 or 30 minutes files as follows:
>
> Start MetaStock.
>
> Display a tick chart.
>
> Click Format|X-Axis.
>
> Click the Compression tab.
>
> Select Intra-day and type 5, 10 or 30 into the minute field and click
OK.
> [...]
> 30 minute data will appear in the Excel file.
>
> Click File|Save As.
>
> Set the Save As Type field to Comma Separated (CSV).
>
> Type a name for the file into the name field and click Save.
>
> Then use the ASCII to MetaStock conversion in The DownLoader to
convert the
> CSV file into a MetaStock 5, 10 or 30 minute file.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 18:20:16 -0700
> From: "Glen Wallace" <gcwallace@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Test - delete
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:18:55 -0400
> From: Shawn Andrews <shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Mswthk32.dll / Mswthk16.dll Error
>
> Any Help on this one!
>
> Everytime I fire up Metastock I get the following error
> "Metastock cannot load mswthk32.dll or mswthk16.dll.
> You will not be able to detect low resources.
>
> I have manually copied these two files from my backup in the
c:\windows\system
> directory but I still get the sam error.
>
> Any help
>
> - --
> "It's not whether you are right or wrong that matters.
> But how much money you make when right and how much you don't lose
when wrong."
>        - George Soros
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:55:18 +1000
> From: "Ed Hancock" <ehancock@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Symbols List

> - ------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BEFC4C.8483D960
>
> Greetings to all,
> My Symbols chart has suddenly changed it's contents. Instead of the =
> familiar Up and Down arrows, and smiling faces, I get the letters of
the =
> alphabet.!
> This makes a mess of my charts, instead of the Up and down arrows - I
=
> get capital letters.
> Seems this problem cropped up some time back. Anyone recall  the =
> solution?
> Regards,
> Ed Hancock
>
> - ------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BEFC4C.8483D960

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Greetings to all,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>My Symbols chart has suddenly changed it's
contents. =
> Instead=20
> of the familiar Up and Down arrows, and smiling faces, I get the
letters =
> of the=20
> alphabet.!</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>This makes a mess of my charts, instead of the Up
=
> and down=20
> arrows - I get capital letters.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Seems this problem cropped up some time back.
Anyone =

> [...]
> From: "Ed Hancock" <ehancock@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Symbols List

> - ------=_NextPart_000_0049_01BEFC4E.39E65E80
>
> Greetings to all,
> My Symbols chart has suddenly changed it's contents. Instead of the =
> familiar Up and Down arrows, and smiling faces, I get the letters of
the =
> alphabet.!
> This makes a mess of my charts, instead of the Up and down arrows - I
=
> get capital letters.
> Seems this problem cropped up some time back. Anyone recall  the =
> solution?
> Regards,
> Ed Hancock
>
> - ------=_NextPart_000_0049_01BEFC4E.39E65E80

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Greetings to all,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>My Symbols chart has suddenly changed it's
contents. =
> Instead=20
> of the familiar Up and Down arrows, and smiling faces, I get the
letters =
> of the=20
> alphabet.!</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>This makes a mess of my charts, instead of the Up
=
> and down=20
> arrows - I get capital letters.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Seems this problem cropped up some time back.
Anyone =

> recall&nbsp; the solution?</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ed Hancock</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> - ------=_NextPart_000_0049_01BEFC4E.39E65E80--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:46:05 +0200
> From: "Andreas Grau" <agrau@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Artificial  Securities
>
> To better understand and play with Metastock, I'm looking
> for artificial securities with "realistic" OHLCV-Data. I.e.
> not just wave-forms, but also rising volume data at the start
> of a rally with decreasing volume towards the end of that
> rally.
>
> Does anyone have tips how to calculate AS? Perhaps in MS Excel?
> Any pointers to the Web?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Andreas
>
> - ---
> Andreas Grau  aka agrau@xxxxxxxxx
> debis Systemhaus Industry GmbH
> Telefon 08153-30-4565
> Telefon 089-27349990
> Telefon 0172-9583971

> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:26:10 -0500
> From: "Lionel  Issen" <lissen@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Artificial  Securities
>
> There was an article in a recent issue of TASC.  If you will o to the
TASC
> website you should be able to locate the issue.
>
> Lionel Issen

all,</font><br>