Re: Avoid problem new PC

  • To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Avoid problem new PC
  • From: Daniel Martinez <DanM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:35:50 -0700

Bob, The SuperMicro - P6DBU and P6DGU are excellent MBs.  They are dual Slot-1 MBs and can connect up to 15 SCSI/U2 devices.  Since they can accommodate up to 15 devices, I don't know why you would need dual SCSI controllers.  Perhaps a misunderstanding here.  The P6DGU is based on the GX Intel chipset.  I don't know if it is compatible with Celerons. To be truthful to this ListServ, the BX/GX Intel chipsets are looking a bit dated.  They don't have ATA-66, 4x AGP, and native 133 Mhz FSB support.  If you already have a good system, it would be best if you simply waited until the new Intel i820 (I believe) chipset came out.... and then waited another 3 (or 6) months for all the bugs to be worked out.  There is so much new hardware coming out in the next 6 months everything being used right now will look quite ancient (except SCSI/U2 or course). Daniel.   Bob Jagow wrote: I've always used SCSIs with NT for that very reason, Daniel.<>  Am looking for a good dual-Slot n with dual UW2.Bobbjagow@xxxxxxx -----Original Message----- From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Daniel Martinez Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 7:40 AM To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Avoid problem new PC I have a small addendum to my post: If you are using Windows NT or are planning to upgrade to 2000 and you don't mind using Celerons, then you might want to consider buying the $150 ABIT BP6 motherboard (MB).  The BP6 is the only dual socket 370 BX chipset MB on the market.  It is also one of the few BX chipset MBs which is Ultra ATA 66 MB/sec capable.  From what I understand, the BX chipset is not 66 MB/sec capable and must be modified by the MB maker for 66 MB/sec support.  The BP6 has a second 66 MB/sec HDD 2 channel controller making it 1 of only 2 MBs, I am aware of, which is eight (yes 8) IDE device capable. The Abit BP6 is an exceptional MB.  Unfortunately, you either must use NT or 2000 for dual processors.  If you want to use it under Win98 in single CPU mode, contact Abit to make sure the ATA-66MB/sec drivers are compatible with Win98.  I believe Pentiums will coming out next year in the socket 370 form factor.  This will allow you to run the MB in 100 Mhz FSB mode.  However, you will have to contact Intel and Abit to confirm this.  You may also have to flash your BIOS for Pentium compatibility. The other MB which is eight (yes 8) IDE drive capable is the Abit BE6.  The BE6 is a single Slot-1 CPU BX chipset based board.  It also has a third-party Ultra DMA66 66 MB/sec controller on the board.  This is an Abit modification.  Since Abit is a major MB manufacturer, I hope that other MB makers will also include a second HDD 66 MB/sec controller.  However, I don't know how many IRQ's the IDE controllers use.  It would be an inconvenience if it used 4 instead of the standard 2. Daniel.