From: A.J. Maas <anthmaas@xxxxxx>
To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 1999 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: intruders viruses trojan horses

> <any comment>
>
> Yes, please!.
>
> 1.  I for one (and for this List) recommend to stick the sending of any
attachments/inserted files to
>      be the GIF-files or Text (HTML) files only. These file types are
basicaly harmless file types.
>      And the GIF files for example, will not have to be Pasted in the
mail's body, as they will only
>      have to be attached to the mail to be able to be viewed (by User or
by others/receivers).

> 2.  Also, if you do not have an email-program capable to instantly
(directly) view the GIF-files, then
>      upgrade to free IE5.x that includes the OE5.x mail-program. The best
thing of it all is that it is
>      a FREE, full featured email-program, and that it so simple and easy
to use, and that it has
>      got some outstanding features included of which one is its pre-view
window where most
>      (picture) attachments can be viewed directly, eg automaticaly instant
and right on the spot.

> 3. Another great feature is its Mail Header Bar's Paper Clip. Just
click-ing it, will not Open any file,
>      but you will directly see what (type of) the attachment is (all
about), also you are given the
>      options to then either open the file (click the attachment) or to
(click) to Save the attachment(s)
>      to disk. All very save, neat and tidy.
>
> 4. Do read on up how virusses(and anything that hangs underneath it) can
only enter one's system,
>     or like lately was also mentioned, how possible hackers can intrude on
one's machine.

>                        1.-virusses+ : via malicious attachments, macros,
scripts and executable
>                            -active      : when envoked by a User(a
receiver running (editting) that file

>                         2a.-hackers: via "Sharing" your PC's hardware,
folders + files (see my previous mail)
>                                                AND you have to be on-line
too for this, in the above way, to enable to let
>                                                it happen, when you have
configered your PC to be the Server that is
>                                                "Sharing" his lot
(hard+software)

>                         2b.-hackers: via malicious attachments
(exe-programs) (see also my previous mail)
>                            -active      : when the attachments are
run(editted)

> 5. You can install firewalls programs, but by not Sharing your stuff (see
above) literly no-one is able
>     to enter your machine. The only thing anyone can do is send out
admission requests to your
>     IP-no (eg the unique number-set that your PC is known to on the Net
(Internet)). Any such request
>     bounces directly, for as you have not "enabled" the Sharing feature.
>     The moment you go onto the Net (Internet), the most that anyone can do
is trace your whereabouts
>     and havebeens, eg including some information that you might have
filled in on some forms on some
>     websites.
>     A computer still functions on 1's and 0's, eg 1=on and 0=off. Not
Sharing your stuff(see above) is 0.

> 6. Use the Quick View program that comes free with Win9.x to check on any
files or attachments, eg
>     after you have first saved them to disk. Or move up to Quick View Plus
to have more features enabled.
>     Quick View doesn't run or edits any files. The closest it gets to that
is a button in the QVP-window
>      that enables you to CHOOSE to run the default associated program of
that file-type.

> I do understand and much appreciate your concern and plea for safety. Hope
the above enlightens the
> safety-subject   -for everyone who is also concerned-  a bit better, and
to anyone who also wants to take