RE: Hard Disk Backup

Richard

My brother also backs up daily to another hard drive, but I finally
convinced him to start backing up off site.  All of those hard drive backups
will do no good whatsoever if you have a fire or other localized problem.

I back up via the internet nightly.  The company's software I use somehow
identifies only those parts of a file that have changed, compresses and
encrypts the data and then uploads it to their servers (in London).  Even
when I was running on a 33.6 modem, it never took too long.  Somehow or
other, the software determines when a new, complete backup of an individual
file is necessary and does it automatically.  I've had to restore data a few
times and it worked flawlessly.  I don't back up any of the 'packaged'
software though, just my stuff.

I know they're working on a methodology whereby, if you have Office 97 for
instance, you won't have to back it up as they will maintain a master copy
or something there, and you will be able to download it.  I guess they back
up your settings, serial number, etc.

Anyway, with this, I never 'forget' to back up.  As I power down for the
night, if it hasn't made a backup yet (which it does automatically around
11PM), it asks me whether I want one.  I always answer yes.  Backups usually
take a minute or two, but I don't have to watch as the machine powers
everything off when done.  It removes all of the worries of not being able
to read that old backup tape which has happened to me more than once.  BTW,
the cost is negligible.   I still back up specific data nightly from one
hard drive to another as well as back up key data from my wife's PC to mine
via our LAN, so it will be included with my on-line backup.
My brother just signed up with someone and paid $99 for an annual contract.
I don't remember who he uses, but mine never contacted him back to set him
up.

Regards

Guy