Re: QuoteMonster and Proxies

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Jim Michael wrote:

> > I've checked the setting again and tried a couple of combinations (IE
has
> > different set-up from Netscape under Sympatico.ca's proxy).  I still
keep

> That sounds a little odd.

Is I dig more into the problem, the different proxy settings are for manual
or automatic configurations.  That doesn't mean much to me.

> > <H1>An Error Occurred</h1>
> > 500 Can't connect to quote.yahoo.com:80 (Unknown error)
>
> Have you tried putting the above URL in Netscape and seeing if you
> connect successfully?

I have tried it now and it does work (both with and without the port
designation).

> Have you contacted customer support at your ISP?

I have now.  They tell me that the proxy server uses port 80 in some way
and that ends up blocking access to that port for other purposes.  Perhaps
that makes some sense to you, but it doesn't to me.  This is the same
problems that SETI@xxxx had with Sympatico's proxy (see the first listed
bug alert at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/windows.html - again it
doesn't make much sense to me).

As you suspected, the problem is with my ISP's firewall.  They tell me they
are working at changing it.

> > (I assume from your reply and from previous posts that QM is your
baby)?

You've produced a very nice program.  I look forward to using it when my
ISP gets their act together.

Rob

Dr. Robert Jackson
robert.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxx