Re: stocks closing above 60-day high

To find the securities that have closed above their last made High (for
the last trading day/period in the database) for the first time, I have written
this exploration query. I haven't tested it thoroughly, I think it
would solve the problem.

ColA: {Close} C
ColB: {Previous 60-day High} Ref(HHV(H,60), -1)
ColC: {Current 60-day High} HHV(H,60)
ColD: {Volume} V
Filter: (colA>colB) AND (Ref(C,-1)<ColB) AND
           (H=HHV(H,60))

This does two things: 1) it would list only those securities which have
fit the bill only on the last trading day, and 2) the new 60-day high
must have taken place only on the last trading day.
===================////++++////=====================
Have above cleaned your full message from some minor typos. Also
think that your scan could be an indicator as well and it could well fit
the bill for the better, i.e. for a single 60-day Period trading range's
"BreakOut Signal"-indicator.
Thus, here it is also, now as a binairy wave (for MS65):

Name: Single 60-day Period BreakOut Signal-indicator

ACol:= C;
BCol:= Ref(HHV(H,59), -1);
CCol:= HHV(H,60);
SSDPBOS:= (ACol>BCol) AND (Ref(C,-1)<BCol) AND
                        (H=CCol);
SSDPBOS

(In MS6.0 this would be)

Name: Single 60-day Period BreakOut Signal-indicator

If(C>Ref(HHV(H,59), -1) AND
If(Ref(C,-1<Ref(HHV(H,59), -1) AND
If(H=HHV(H,60))

However, consider this:
On a Tuesday afternoon you are scanning your database, so then
the scan will use the Monday's closing values.
Now if you were scanning on Tuesday evening, then the scan will
use Tuesday's closing values, i.e. that day's values.
In your formula, the 60-day period used for the scan's period
will give (2x) different results on the same one day (i.e. on Tuesday).

>From the above MS6.5 (and MS6.0) indicator, you can now tell that
the 60-day Period is also an equal, full 60 days scan taken for the
to be scanned 60-day Period, therefore (and when using the Ref-function)
have cut the BCol period down to 59 (days).

The only draw back at present with the formula in general is, that once
a possitive "+1" signal is given, the indicator might return to a nil ("0") level,
i.e. if the formula's criteria aren't met.
Rising Trends aren't perfect straight lines up, eg the price will <temp>
pull up to the resistance-line and then <temp> drop down to the rising
support-line and then perhaps move up again, so there will be days that
a previously found (possitive) security is still in its "breakout and/or
past breakout-UpTrend-phase", whilst your indicator's signals can
still be negative, i.e. since its criteria's aren't met.

Actualy, this is one of the reasons, why I have also stayed (the hell) away
from statistical analysis, eg buy on not trustworthy indicator's signals, but
also do certainly find your formula very interesting, i.e. for when breakouts
to the upside occure, after long periods of "sideways" non-trending price
moves in the (also sideways) Trading Ranges (eg the Horizontal Trend Channels).

Should not be to hard and that difficult to re-write the formula so, that the
down breaks (throughs) are also being signalled (-1).

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dismiss the ".nospam" bit (including the dot) when replying.