Re: SMI and TSI

"Would you be willing to express SMI and TSI forumulae in English, for
me...so I can get a better grasp of what the functions are going to do?"

Michael,

I was publicly educated in the Detroit school system and English isn't
something I have a handle on.  I completed my undergraduate degree 30 years
after high school graduation and almost didn't accomplish the feat because
of 200 and 300 level statistics' classes.  I have included a reference to
the articles that the formulae were taken from.  Applying the formulae to a
couple of thousand charts, should satisfy your curiosity.  My "opinion"
about "what the functions are going to do" is totally worthless.  They are
in constant motion (the math is a mystery to me).

I wish I had some specific, spiffy reply that would answer your question.
Ten people could read the articles and come away with ten different ideas
on how to use these indicators.  I guess my best "guess", at what they do,
is to say that they identify momentum in the markets and tend to signal
market turns.  I don't really believe you have to understand the math
behind the indicator (many would disagree).  I start my car and turn on the
lights and don't really have a clue about the principles behind gas engines
and electricity.

I'm not being cute, I'm just not very bright.  I offer the formulae in good
faith, hoping that smarter folks might improve, modify, and alert me to
modifications that work for them.

The indicator guru, William Blau, says of the SMI: "Double smoothing of
both numerator and denominator of the original formula of %K of the
stochastic indicator aids in obtaining low-lag smoooth-contoured indicator
curves.  In lieu of single parameter to specify the stochastic, the
Ds-stochastic formulation provides an additional two parameters for a
double-Ema effect."

and

"The true strength index may be considered to be a cross between a relative
strength indicator and a moving average convergence/divergence indicator
with many desirable properties from each."

It's all Greek to me...they either work or I try to tweak them to make them
work.  If I don't see the value, I toss them out.  At one time, I used SMI,
TSI, & LRS separately, now I combine them.  "Spin 'em" on a couple thousand
charts, combine them with other indicators, substitute your own numbers in
the formulae.

Hope this helps,

Steve Karnish
CCT

----------
> From: Michael Robb <mrobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: SMI and TSI
> Date: Sunday, April 11, 1999 12:07 PM
>
> Steve:
>
> Would you be willing to express SMI and TSI forumulae in English, for
> me...so I can get a better grasp of what the functions are going to do?
>
> Thank you.
>
> M.R.

MetaStock