Re: since patch update / no help given

Microsoft-, Reuters-, Metastock-bashing has become OUTDATED.
Since you are an experienced computer user yourselves, you must know that software
is the most fragile part of the computer. As such Support Dep. are overwhelmed with
support-requests, and much like Microsoft has experienced and have changed for the
better, Equis/Metastock support are changing their attitude to users as well. Just
recently the Patch and its corrected versions- that was fixed in no time - only took a
mere 30 days to enable everyone to have it installed and to work properly. Also note
that the Patch was delivered on time(way before Y2K) and for FREE.
The List also gets attended, and most support-requests are all answered, to the best of
my knowledge (info stems from other users overhere as well).
Another Suggestions to Equis-mail address has been made available etc. etc.
Back to your "Same date for all Charts" question:

*Charts have no particular features as characteristics, other then how you have manualy
    last saved the Chart.
*Smart Charts have the explicite characteristic to be able to automaticaly save a Chart
    as in how you have last used it.
    E.g. it will save and include your last used date settings, drawn Trendlines & Channels
    etc. etc.

Unless you must have an explicit specific reason not to use Smart Charts, keep it stuck
to the factory default, eg check the "Use Smart Charts" option setting again to default "On".
(on the "Tools|Option|Chart Options" -TAB).

And when checked, the program will then automaticaly create and/or store defined
(Smart) Charts' characteristics in a "chart.mwc" -file in a seperate "MsSmart"-folder.
Contrairy, this "Use Smart Charts" feature then checked, will always have the program
to "Open" any security first with the consequtive (Smart) Chart it finds in these
MsSmart-folders, else it will call on the Default-template, eg to have that security Open(ed)
with using the Default-template.

The drawback of this "Smart Chart" option is that the (Smart) Charts in these
MsSmart-folders are ALWAYS created and used (see above), unless you will save
your security to a once, seperatly created, Layout and alternatively to start using this Layout.
Anytime, eg on closing or opening the program, any MsSmart-folders found on your drive(s)
can then be simply deleted. For this deleting running an old DOS batch-file with the following
lines as the command line(s) (eg create in NotePad and Save As to "Metastock.BAT")

DEL C:\*\MsSmart
DEL D:\*\MsSmart
START C:\Equis\MsWin\MsWin

and the "Metastock.bat" file to be called upon (via a created "Shortcut To"-link) before or
after(just put the last 3td line START.... upfront the DEL actions) running the program, will
be sufficient to have all MsSmart-folders deleted, eg the program then always defaults to
and always MUST use the Default-template(see below).

To force Metastock to use the "Default.mwt" (the default template), delete or rename or
replace all the "MsSmart" folders that you can find and that are automaticaly created by
the program. They are situated straight under any MAIN working folder (the folder
containing the Downloaders "Fxx.dat" files, where xx is any number) and can be as
many MsSmart-folders as you also have MAIN (\Sub) folders.

Now, if the problems of the same start date for all securities will re-apear again, then
replace the Default-template, eg by deleting the old one for a freshly created new one
(or copy it over from a back copy or from the 6.5 Cd-Rom).

The questions you have on the "Alerts" make very much sence, but can "only" be fully
answered by EqSupport, eg this goes beyond my "Alerts" knowledge (eg and as I am
already satisfied that at least "the Alerts" features are included in the program, however
they should not be restricted to the Expert/Sys sub-programs alone/only).

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxx

>From the Equis-website's FAQ :

Q. What is the difference between a "Smart Chart" and a Chart?

A. Chart - A chart is a graphical representation of a security's price
                 along with any accompanying indicators and line studies.
                 In MetaStock for Windows you may have as many charts of
                 an individual security as you would like. The only requirement
                 is a unique name for each one (i.e., IBM, IBM1, IBM2, etc.).
   Smart Chart-
                 A Smart Chart is simply a chart that is automatically saved
                 under the security's name each time you are done working with it.
                 The next time you load a security's Smart Chart, it appears exactly
                 as it did when you last saw it.
                 This frees you from having to worry about saving your charts using
                  the more involved (yet more flexible) Save As command.