RE: RE: OFF TOPIC Melissa Virus Originator Apprehended

Randall

You're right about it being a pain in the butt and requiring time and money
to clean up.  I forget since I took off my CIO cap, what we did to protect
ourselves and our data.

I guess I was just thinking about the 'old' hackers that used to change,
delete and otherwise really interfere with the systems.  While this was a
pain, it wasn't fatal.

I remember, years ago, when one of my senior people wrote a little blurb and
hid it in the OS.  What was supposed to happen, was that when his birthday
fell on a work day, the computer would print out several verses of the Happy
Birthday song to Bruce via the console.  Unfortunately he never tested it
well, so that when it was finally triggered, it went into a loop, and
instead of just doing it one time, it went forever.  Locked up the main CPU.
Since it took a couple of years to be triggered, all of the backup modules,
no matter how deep, also contained the bug.
Meanwhile he had left the company.  When we called him, he came right in and
deleted it from the OS, but it was a costly 'joke'.

Guy