From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jim Michael
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 1999 9:02 PM
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: QuoteMonster Challenge

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Sean W. Smith wrote:

> quote monster is nice tool but how do you deal with error correction.
With
> quotes-plus we are getting 100's to 1000's of updates the day after.  Most
> of the updates are sent from the exhanges.  Sources like dial data seem
> limited to have lots of data errors because they never receive
corrections.
> How do you deal with this in quote monster....

Well, if your download process retrieves more than the current day's
quotes, then you would pick up the changes IF the changes are posted on
the free site. The purpose of the challenge is to compare different
sources to see what the range and magnitude of the errors is. I don't
think QM is the best solution for downloading a large number of tickers.
It is better for those who specialize on a market segment or the DJIA, or
who need to pull down a few tickers for analysis over a few years. In
those cases error correction by overwriting all of the data in a period
is not inefficient.

For all the talk re free vs. non-free, no one has answered the challenge
yet.

Cheers,

Jim