RE: file structure and data handling

At 15:09 23/02/99 -0500, Sean W. Smith wrote:

> [...]

I'm afraid it would anyway with multi-market unlimited directories.

>> Some good points however (could read what made it a standard) :
>> * very easy creation/deletion of markets
>
>??? What do you mean by this

Just that adding futures, removing mutual funds or copying a group of
securities to create a "test market" is quite simple with the
Metastock/Computrac data organization.

>> * support of custom symbols
>
>??? same question...

Easy example - creation of custom index.

>> * free utility to maintain database, import ASCII data
>
>Where???

Reuters/Equis free Downloader. People can get free CSV quote files for many
world markets and use The Downloader to maintain Metastock files.
Most data vendors of these countries will also support the data format.
Again, The Downloader can then be used for data maintenance.

>> * 255 sec/dir data structure technical documentation has been
>> available for years, 2000 sec/dir is a simple (&dirty) extension
>> (if one omit the access control mechanisms)
>
>Yep
>
>> * supported # data records allows for long term historical studies
>
>most formats have this.

Dunno. This one will let you cover 30 years and even 1929 :) I like to know
that a structure is "unlimited enough" that I do not need to remember it
has a limit.

>> * ever read a message about MS database crash ?
>
>YEP sure have. I have had there data get corrupted by the downloader when I
>was first using dial data/

I guess there were some occurences, was just mentioning the number of crash
reports is really low for such a widespread stock database format. It is
slow and kind of horrible for sure, but I really appreciate the no crash/no
hang performance.