Re: Was thinking of Metastock but now not so sure

Metastock does have an answer - $350 vs $2000+.  I would imagine TS 2000
requires hefty processor, like a Pentium of 350 mhz +.  I'm guessing that most
Tradestation part time traders, started with an inexpensive package like
Metastock to see if they can make it work for them.  Once making significant
and consistent profits, then they look at Tradestation.  But it would be a
real bite if you bought a big new machine and installed Tradestation only to
find out this won't work for you.  If you can't pull the trigger on the
signals, no system will work for you.

I have installed every patch and haven't had any significant problems.  I know
that some people have had problems, and have real concerns.  I do make a
backup of the Equis folder before installing the latest patch and keep it for
a few days.

I'm waiting for the day AOL destroys itself by sending out a patch that
disables the software.  That would be real interesting.  I've done enough
programming to know that anything like that could happen.

As for programming flexibility,  I have found some very profitable systems and
use them on Metastock.  If I had Tradestation, I would be using the same
systems.

I'm an engineer so programming is easy for me.  I know it's not easy for
everyone.
But Tradestation isn't easier.  The code I've seen is a little more like
Basic, only very specialized, ie. variables, arrays, counters etc.  These give
Tradestation raw power.  However, Metastock does come with some very
interesting systems.  That's where I started and then just expanded.  Equis's
Web site has some very good trading systems free for the taking.  (I think
Equis would do well to expand this section on their Web by letting people post
their trading systems as well as backtested results on a few portfolios.)

I would guess that most people on this list have a decent trading system, but
are  looking for a better one.  That isn't a sign of weakness on Metastock or
Equis.  If the traders on this list weren't making money, they would be gone.
Weakness would be signaled if the list wasn't active.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Kevin Campbell