Re: Building Blocks - Trend Channels

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I want to thank Jim for his excellant ideas and
help... I would like to intoduce to the group the idea of Market safety.. My
personal efforts have been to develope systems for knowing if and how much I
should be in the market.. I have made a matrix of systems that scales me in and
out of the market. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT><FONT size=2>The reason behind this was
my time that I have to find the gems in the market as well as even if I found
these Gems... and the market turns their worth diminishes. Alot of my work deals
with breadth, sentiment and price momentum. As we stand now Breadth has
deteriorated to an extreme negative level. Momentum has stagnated and is on the
verge of being negative. Lastly sentiment as measured by market vane 2 weeks ago
reached an extreme 73%..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>One needs to look at the market on a daily basis and yesterday
was a strong day but the breadth didn't confirm nor did some of the other
indices. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I am currently 65% invested in the Rydex Nova. If we turn down
to 1145 on the Sp my matrix of systems scales me back much
further...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I would like to learn more from Jim and see some chart
examples. I feel I can contribute to the timing aspect. If people are interested
I can elaborate further.. thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Andy Abraham cta</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Angus Jackson </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original Message-----</B><BR><B>From:
    </B>Jim Greening &lt;<A
    href="mailto:JimGinVA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>JimGinVA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
    </B>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    &lt;<A
    href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
    </B>Tuesday, December 15, 1998 9:19 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Re: Building
    Blocks - Trend Channels<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>Rick,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for the input.&nbsp;
    Actually, the rather subjective final decision on which stock will be my
    pick for the week is part of my system &lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; However, I
    understand what you mean.&nbsp; I do always look at the closed positions,
    especially the losses, to see if there was something obvious that I could
    change in the system to avoid the same problem in the future.&nbsp; However,
    I really haven't taken a hard look at or really even followed the second
    choices that I didn't get.&nbsp; That's a good idea, thanks!</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It's probably also a good
    idea to stop tweaking the system since I'm pretty satisfied with it
    exception for the market timing and direction part that I haven't really
    described yet.&nbsp; It's also based on trend channels with market
    indices.&nbsp; I'm thinking about revisions to what I'm currently doing and
    maybe expanding it to more sector analysis.&nbsp; I'll try to get a
    discussion going on it in the near future.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I really do appreciate all the
    comments I have been getting The has two reasons for starting these
    discussions.&nbsp; First if I could describe my system, I would understand
    it better and hopefully follow it closer &lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; I think that has
    worked.&nbsp; Last but not least, I might get some helpful ideas for
    improvements.&nbsp; That has also worked, so the discussions have really
    been a benefit to me.&nbsp; I just hope others got some good out of them
    also.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>JimG </FONT></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE
    style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
        <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
        <DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
        href="mailto:rmjapan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"; title=rmjapan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Rick
        Mortellra</A> </DIV>
        <DIV><B>To:</B> <A href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";
        title=metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>MetaStock List</A> </DIV>
        <DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, December 14, 1998 7:28 PM</DIV>
        <DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: Building Blocks - Trend Channels</DIV></DIV>
        <DIV><BR></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT color=#000000 face=Arial size=2>Hi ya &quot;Swami&quot;
        Jim,</FONT></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT color=#000000 face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I think for pointers on how to tweak your
        system you need to look no further than your book of closed trades. I
        assume you do keep (at least you should) a careful record of each trade?
        My feeling is that just about any system based on sound trading logic
        that can be backtested can make you money using the right money
        management&nbsp; filters. </FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>So if I were
        you, I'd go thru my closed book and play &quot;what if&quot; with my
        exit stops. <FONT face=Arial size=2>Obviously, this is not something
        that can be done by computer unless you've kept all the details of the
        trades on a spreadsheet. Even then it's no easy
task.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>That said, you do have a good low-risk
        objective strategy that's on a real hot streak. But from my point of
        view, it's not so much your channel entry/exit system but your stock
        selection that is making you the bucks. By that I mean, every week you
        generate a list of possibilities from which you take your weekly trade.
        You normally don't have the buying power to take all signaled trades so
        you are forced to select 1 or 2 stocks out of several candidates.
        Moreover, I sense your last cut may be pretty subjective. Your recent
        choices have been amazing, almost telepathic and why I've nicknamed you
        the Swami ;-), in that they are almost immediately followed by some
        news-driven move. Iomega and Eggs are recent examples that pop into my
        mind.</FONT></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>But, without taking all signaled trades,
        its hard to measure your systems real performance. Your systems recent
        success may very well be just due to the &quot;luck of the draw.&quot;
        So, you might want to also examine records of trades you passed on to
        get a better feel if it's just your good &quot;judgement&quot; or the
        system that's making you money. If it's the system and the returns are
        acceptable for the risk, then my advise is don't fiddle with it. Try
        working on another system you can add to your toolbox that will work
        under different market conditions. </FONT></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>That's all I can offer for now. Probably
        not much immediate help but perhaps some food for thought.</FONT></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Merry Christmas,</FONT></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Rick</FONT></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT><FONT face=Arial
        size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original
        Message-----</B><BR><B>From: </B>Jim Greening &lt;<A
        href="mailto:JimGinVA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>JimGinVA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
        </B>Metastock &lt;<A
        href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
        </B>Monday, December 14, 1998 4:31 AM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Building Blocks
        - Trend Channels<BR><BR></DIV>
        <BLOCKQUOTE
        style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT>
            <DIV><FONT size=2>All,</FONT></DIV>
            <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Last week I talked about
            how I use trend channels to set targets and stops to tell me when to
            exit a position.&nbsp; This week I'm going to go back to the
            beginning to discuss how I use trend channels to tell me when to
            enter a position.&nbsp; I'd appreciate any comments pro or con on
            this methodology.</FONT></DIV>
            <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've come to depend more
            and more on trend channels as my primary technical analysis tool.
            The theory of trend channel investing is simple. First you have to
            construct the trend channel. After that is done the rest is easy.
            For up trend channels you open a long position right after a stock
            bounces off the bottom of a channel and close the position when it
            hits the top of a channel. Vice versa for down trend channels. I
            treat horizontal channels like up trend channels for trading
            purposes.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Of course, I expand on this
            simple methodology slightly &lt;G&gt;. First I construct short,
            intermediate, and long term channels on all my charts.&nbsp; My
            definition of short, intermediate and long term is flexible. In
            general short term is days to up to a few months, intermediate term
            is a few months to over a year, and long term is years. I like to
            open a position in the direction of the long term trend channel when
            an intermediate term trend channel is broken and the stock reverses
            in the direction of the long term trend. Since this is a fairly rare
            occurrence, my secondary method which occurs much more frequently
            and is, therefore, the one I use the most, is to enter a position
            when the short term trend channel is broken and the stock reverses
            in direction of the intermediate term trend channel.&nbsp; In both
            cases, the reversal is a better buy signal when it occurs in
            conjunction with a bounce off the bottom of the longer term trend
            channel.&nbsp; Once a stock has reversed its trend, I construct a
            new short term trend channel in the direction of the longer term
            trend.&nbsp; I use this new Short Term Trend Channel to set my
            targets and stops as I described last week if I entered a position
            on the breakout of the old channel.&nbsp; If I missed entering the
            position at the breakout, there are additional entry points every
            time the stock bounces off the bottom of the new short term trend
            channel. <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As you can see, using
            trend channels for signaling when to enter a new position is
            straight forward and simple.&nbsp; The trick is how to objectively
            and consistently construct the trend channels.&nbsp; For short term
            up trend channels I use the Standard Deviation Channel built into
            MetaStock. I start the channel immediately to the left of the lowest
            low in the data being considered and end immediately to the right of
            the highest high in the time frame. I set the deviation at 2 to
            determine the targets and at 1 to determine the stops.&nbsp; I
            usually leave it at 1 for looking at the charts since the stop is
            more important than the target I extend the channel to the right.
            Anytime a new high is hit, I'll drag the right end of the channel
            immediately to the right of that high. After a few months with at
            least two good reactions, I switch to Trader Vic type trend lines to
            construct my short term channels. I only use Trader Vic type trend
            lines for intermediate and long term channels.&nbsp; I like the
            Trader Vic methodology much better than using a standard deviation
            channel, but it gives many more false signals than standard
            deviation channels do for very short term channels without any major
            reactions in the data.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
            <DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For a Trader Vic up trend
            line, start with the lowest low in the time frame being considered.
            Draw a line from that low to a low before the highest high in the
            time frame such that the line doesn't pass through any data. It's
            important that you don't draw the line through any data or to a low
            that is past the highest high in the timeframe. A down trend line is
            just the mirror image using the highs in the time frame. To
            construct the up trend channel, extend the line to the right, then
            draw a parallel line through the most extreme high in the time frame
            such that the line doesn't intersect any other data points. This is
            easy with MetaStock. You can hold the CTRL key down, then hold the
            left mouse key down once you are on the original line and drag a
            parallel line to where ever you want it. You can do the down trend
            channels in a similar manner. Horizontal channels are the easiest.
            Just drop a horizontal line on the highest high and lowest low in
            the time frame. My final touch is to change the line color and
            style: blue and dashed for short term channels;&nbsp; red and dashed
            for intermediate term channels; and magenta and dashed for long term
            channels.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; That's all there is to
            it, what do you think?&nbsp; Does it make sense?</FONT></DIV>
            <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
            <DIV><FONT size=2>Jim <BR></FONT></DIV>
            <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
            <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Fri Dec 25 23:26:43 1998